Project Update

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Sal
Project Update

#1 Post by Sal » Mon May 03, 2021 3:30 pm

Hi folks, thought I would give you all a project update as I have asked an inordinate amount of questions which you have answered so keenly and helped me no end.

So.... I bought a 1973 mk 2 2.5PI (on carbs) in a terrible state, body Is great but it was a none runner with loads of poor engine/mechanical workmanship and the interior needs lots of work (replacing really)

The plan was to get the engine running and then when I knew I had a good motor start concentrating on the other bits.

I got it started for the first time this weekend and the engine is F*@£ed!!! huge bottom end knock plus a metal on metal sound that sounds the stuff of horror films!!

So... I need a new engine.... I have the feelers out with my local Triumph contacts but if any of you know of a good one that’s for sale please let me know as I’m in the market for one.

My engine is already stripped, all bolts undone, will pick up my friends engine host next weekend and out it’ll come.

Thanks again and will keep you updated on progress.

Sal

Alec

Re: Project Update

#2 Post by Alec » Tue May 04, 2021 2:07 pm

hello Sal,

did you not consider rebuilding your engine rather than finding another, the condition of which can be quite an unknown?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue May 04, 2021 3:46 pm

I agree with Alec. They are an easy engine to work on with little need for any special tools. They are a bit heavy though.

Doing it yourself will give great satisfaction and at the end you will have a good known engine.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Sal

#4 Post by Sal » Tue May 04, 2021 9:21 pm

Yep point taken chaps and of course it’s something I’ll consider if I can’t find a good ‘known’ engine.

I always think though that you need to know your limits so I think I’ll leave a rebuild to someone else.

Keep your ear to the ground for me please.

Thanks
Sal