Seat Refurbishment

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
johnfrancis898
Groupie
Groupie
Seat Refurbishment

#1 Post by johnfrancis898 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:04 am

I have the velour cloth seats coverings in beige (C74). I am looking to get these redone and have been looking around and asking a few people what’s about and what they have done. This cloth was popular in a lot of BL cars in the day being used in most Triumph models in various colours. Mine are very thin and faded on the top edges and generally showing signs of ware.

Unfortunately I have had mostly the same replies, “we’ve looked about and can’t find anything”. However I have been looking about and probably the best start (I was told) would be the name of the company that made the seats. Well I think they are well gone now as it’s almost 47 years since the last Triumph rolled but someone must know where the cloth came from. I know several trimmers who are willing to give it a go and they have searched for something but I’ve yet to see a good match. I will also be asking the other Clubs.

I have had a chat with a guy who is a furniture restorer and he has imported a lot of quality cloth from India and reckons he could get something made over there. However, it wouldn't be cheap and we would have to order a reasonable quantity. He also suggested getting it done in cotton as opposed to nylon. Originality always being top of my list I wasn’t keen but maybe a cotton material may be may be worth considering. He reckons the finish would be very similar to the nylon. He can also do any colour. I have asked him to investigate further with a view to putting together a price for a kit per car and colours.

As always, thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome

So my next question is who would be interested?
Member no. 7941.

2500TC Mk 2 saloon 1976 od/PAS BRG

Forkie

Re: Seat Refurbishment

#2 Post by Forkie » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:19 pm

I have been recently led to someone that is a retired trimmer, that is refurbing my rear side panels to the luggage area on my Estate - i will enquire on your behalf, no guarantees, on your issue.
What i should of added is even though retired, he seems to still be in ' the know' of certain materials from certain places. I believe he is ex Jaguar - as soon as he received pics of my rear luggage area side panels he replied that they are not to Triumph standards - Carbodies built the Estate. A boring anecdote no doubt, but he is being really fussy about what finish i want on my side panels .
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

johnfrancis898
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by johnfrancis898 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:36 pm

Hi Forkie

Thanks for this. I know Carbodies finished off the estates but at that time I would have thought manufacturers would have been using suppliers in the UK. I did have a discussion with a guy at a show a few years back that said his father worked for a company in Birmingham that upholstered seats for Jaguar, Rover & Triumph. There must be someone out there who knows who the original upholsterers were? Keep me updated on how you get on.

John.
Member no. 7941.

2500TC Mk 2 saloon 1976 od/PAS BRG

Forkie

#4 Post by Forkie » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:01 pm

Hi John.
I do not know this guy myself - i have had a chap around of late going through some of my mechanicals with me, he noticed my damaged side panel in the luggage area ( the fuel filler side, poor design where it feeds around the filler neck👀) and mentioned he knows a guy that can sort that......and it has gone from there. He seems very knowledgable on all things trim wise, Jag and Triumph so my hunch is if he cannot oblige, he might well know who can. I have been sent his number today so i can speak to him direct - probably over the weekend. If there is any other info you could give me it might be handy, i am not all that knowledgable myself on trim types and shades available at the time. Are you looking for all the seats to be done, or just fronts? Also, maybe a picture a seat may help, for me to forward to him. What year is the car - that may also help. It sounds like we have the same trim colour by the way, although C74 does not mean too much to me 😁
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#5 Post by Forkie » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:09 pm

One question answered - 1976 model 😁 when i back tracked during writing up, i was not able to see that section. Mine is also BRG, from 75 so i bet we have the same seat coverings.
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#6 Post by Forkie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

Spoke to this chap earlier. Will send you a p m in a few days 👍
Member Number 7392 04/07