Respray?

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Jreg2000
Respray?

#1 Post by Jreg2000 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:37 am

Hi guys i am considering having my 2000mk 2 resprayed i dont want to striped down to a shell,is it worth getting a partial respray done? and any idea of costs? in uk.
Car is a lovely Valencia blue so i dont want to change the colour just get sprayed what you see.
Cheers

Rod 2500S
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Respray?

#2 Post by Rod 2500S » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:10 am

Gday mate a lot will depend on if you can find an old school painter who'll use old paint. The current breed (here in OZ) won't even talk to you if you mention acrylic etc.
All they'll use is 2pk. My 2500S cost me AUD$2000 just for the paint (water based base colour and 2pk clear) And then they insist on 2pk primer.
Good luck
Rod
PS see pic
Attachments
Club photos 18th of May 8.JPG

johnnydog

Re: Respray?

#3 Post by johnnydog » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:00 pm

It depends on which areas you want painting and the price you are willing to pay. A bottom half respray including bonnet and boot lid, but not the roof and pillars, and finishing across the middle of the stainless trim at waist height of the doors is the easiest and cheapest. This avoids having to mask the front and rear screen rubbers and window rubbers. The problem with a partial respray is masking the sections / areas that are being not being painted, and avoiding unsightly edges that make it obvious that the vehicle has been painted. I appreciate there are foam soft edge tapes that don't leave a defined edge like the paper masking tape, but to do a decent job, the majority of exterior trim should be removed. Masking round window rubbers leaves an obvious edge of paint which are plainly noticeable. Even with a bottom half respray, the stainless trim, bumpers, badges, door handles, sill trims, boot lock, headlights and grill all need removing, but these are the simple enough items to remove.
The other issue is that many bodyshops don't know how to remove / install trim on older cars, such as the roof gutter trim, door glass rubbers, windscreen trim, and 1/4 lights, for example, which often results in damaged clips, damage to trim pieces and the subsequent need to then source replacements.
Personally, I would remove as much trim yourself as you are able to relative to the areas you want painting - you know it will be done correctly and pieces of trim / clips etc will not get mislaid.
As with any body work job, the time and effort in the preparation is proportionate to the quality of the finished result.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red