Seat covers from Aldridge Trimming.

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Fester
Seat covers from Aldridge Trimming.

#1 Post by Fester » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:27 am

So my little old Mk2 has tan vinyl & velour seats & 50 years of sun has killed the velour & it also looks like an elderly mouse has been living in the drivers seat. So as the car is more or less standard, apart from a Witor boy racer exhaust I thought I’d try & find seat covers that look original. A local classic car trimmer wanted £1500 + vat for just the two front seats, but then I came across Aldridge trimming on eBay. A quick email & they sent me a couple of swatches to match the material, once I’d agreed on the material I paid just short of £500 for two front covers. 2 weeks later I get a call while im on holiday saying the pattern they have looks different & can I send them one of my covers for them to copy. I have never attempted any kind of upholstery before, I took the passenger seat out & was rather impressed with how well they are put together, lots of clips, screws, bungees & glue. Unfortunately the majority of the seat foam has turned to dust! So moving on to the current state, I have the new well made covers, I’ve had to make new backrest webbing straps from mountain bike inner tubes & the seat backs are currently held together with cling film & after several hours of rolling around on the floor & a bit of sewing ive nearly got one finished. The saga continues!
Attachments
48AD080B-EAB7-487A-A1D0-ECB1E47920A9.png

david_lall

Re: Seat covers from Aldridge Trimming.

#2 Post by david_lall » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing your updates :wink:
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

Phil T

#3 Post by Phil T » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Yes, I'd be interested in your updates as my cloth seats need repairing as well!

I did try a local trimmers which had a good reputation, but they seemed disinterested.....

Fester

#4 Post by Fester » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Progress is slow, but the colours are a good match.
Attachments
image.jpg

david_lall

#5 Post by david_lall » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:20 am

That's looking really great 😊
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

torque2me

#6 Post by torque2me » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:36 pm

Fester wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:27 am
So my little old Mk2 has tan vinyl & velour seats & 50 years of sun has killed the velour & it also looks like an elderly mouse has been living in the drivers seat. So as the car is more or less standard, apart from a Witor boy racer exhaust I thought I’d try & find seat covers that look original. A local classic car trimmer wanted £1500 + vat for just the two front seats, but then I came across Aldridge trimming on eBay. A quick email & they sent me a couple of swatches to match the material, once I’d agreed on the material I paid just short of £500 for two front covers. 2 weeks later I get a call while im on holiday saying the pattern they have looks different & can I send them one of my covers for them to copy. I have never attempted any kind of upholstery before, I took the passenger seat out & was rather impressed with how well they are put together, lots of clips, screws, bungees & glue. Unfortunately the majority of the seat foam has turned to dust! So moving on to the current state, I have the new well made covers, I’ve had to make new backrest webbing straps from mountain bike inner tubes & the seat backs are currently held together with cling film & after several hours of rolling around on the floor & a bit of sewing ive nearly got one finished. The saga continues!
Well, looking at your photo is a bit puzzling for me as I thought velour (BL speak is "Brushed Nylon") and that the whole of the front facings were one (i.e. either all vinyl or all nylon). Your photo shows the bolsters being made of vinyl. Mine are biscuit coloured brushed nylon but don't have vinyl bolsters. I got the vehicle in 1987 (made in 1977) and always believed the seats to be oem?

Kev

johnnydog

#7 Post by johnnydog » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:41 pm

torque2me wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:36 pm
Fester wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:27 am
Well, looking at your photo is a bit puzzling for me as I thought velour (BL speak is "Brushed Nylon") and that the whole of the front facings were one (i.e. either all vinyl or all nylon). Your photo shows the bolsters being made of vinyl. Mine are biscuit coloured brushed nylon but don't have vinyl bolsters. I got the vehicle in 1987 (made in 1977) and always believed the seats to be oem?

Kev
Early Mk2 's had the option of 'breathing' expanded vinyl (commonly known as vinyl or leather cloth) across the whole seat facings, or corded brushed nylon (also called bri-nylon) in the centre of the seat facings. These early models with the bri-nylon option had plain vinyl outer bolsters with a very fine woven nylon centre section, but this was dropped around late 1972 for the 'broad cord' coarser brushed nylon which continued into facelift models as an option from just vinyl seats. Headrests of course appeared in the facelift models in 1974.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Fester

#8 Post by Fester » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:19 pm

After several hours of cutting up bits of foam & rolling around on the floor stretching the vinyl over the frames, I’ve got the seats back in. They look a bit like Nora Battys stockings in places but I’m hoping they’ll gradually settle down. Not a bad colour match with the original rear seats.
Attachments
A0CDDEB5-D03C-47EA-A438-2BDB22586C27.jpeg

Charles H

#9 Post by Charles H » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:27 am

Looks good!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3