Rear Three quarter vinyl

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Ian3781
Rear Three quarter vinyl

#1 Post by Ian3781 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 am

Hello
I've scanned many images of Triumph 2.5 PI Mk2 models over the last few weeks to try to see how the vinyl on this rear panel is cut at the bottom section nearest the rear window
Some seem to have it cut vertical, others have it oblique following the window line.
Here's mine [img]
Rear pillar Vinyl and PI badge.jpg
[img]

I wonder how they were out of the factory, is there a an official answer from anyone?

Then I wonder how do people prefer it, it does seem a bit odd to me
Thanks
Life is better in a Triumph PI

Jonathan Lewis

Re: Rear Three quarter vinyl

#2 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:20 am

As far as I am aware, oblique following the window line. I think that the original alignment was on the glass side of the brightwork strip, but some cars do seem to have the leading edge of the vinyl in line with the rear edge of the brightwork, so perhaps the exact placement varied from car to car... In either case, I'm reasonably sure that the original items had a moulded/welded finishing seam (hem :?: ) at this point.

I don't know whether anyone has remanufactured these in recent times; they certainly were no longer readily available when I restored my PI fifteen years ago...

Ian3781

#3 Post by Ian3781 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Jonathan Lewis wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:20 am
As far as I am aware, oblique following the window line. I think that the original alignment was on the glass side of the brightwork strip, but some cars do seem to have the leading edge of the vinyl in line with the rear edge of the brightwork, so perhaps the exact placement varied from car to car... In either case, I'm reasonably sure that the original items had a moulded/welded finishing seam (hem :?: ) at this point.

I don't know whether anyone has remanufactured these in recent times; they certainly were no longer readily available when I restored my PI fifteen years ago...
Thanks. Did you add many mile sin those 15 years? How has the injection system held up? Still using the original Lucas pump?
Life is better in a Triumph PI

Jonathan Lewis

#4 Post by Jonathan Lewis » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Ian3781 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:01 pm
Did you add many mile sin those 15 years? How has the injection system held up? Still using the original Lucas pump?
Not as many miles as I might have liked, though that is due to me, not the car. :)

PI system has held up fine, and is one of the particular joys of the car (though what the future will bring with higher ethanol content in petrols is anyone's guess...). Still with original Lucas pump (albeit relocated to right-hand side of boot, away from exhaust heat), but with direct (fused) electrical feed from battery via relay and heavy-duty cable, uprated earth connection and high-volume low-pressure Facet booster pump between tank outlet and filter inlet to help guard against vapour locks. All worthwhile, IMHO, the wiring improvements particularly so. Having a bigger-bore fuel supply pipe between the tank outlet and filter inlet would be a bonus, and perhaps a more elegant solution than the Facet 'booster', but poses some difficulty using the standard tank connections...

johnnydog

#5 Post by johnnydog » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 pm

The original C pillar vinyl had a folded seam at the front edge running at 45 degrees in line with the profile of the 1/4 light. They were all the same irrespective of Mk1 or Mk2 PI or 2500S. Some aftermarket or reproduction vinyl didn't have this seam probably for ease or cost of manufacture.
The Carmine pic is of my S; the Sienna is of my Mk2 PI.
20210403_192536.jpg
20210403_192457.jpg
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red