Front windscreen.

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Alec
Front windscreen.

#1 Post by Alec » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:53 am

Hello all,

has anyone fitted or had fitted a new laminated front screen recently?

I have had to do this twice recently, because in my first attempt I managed to crack the screen quite badly. The workshop manual, written of course for toughened glass, suggests seating the screen with a rubber mallet, something I've done in teh past with toughened screens. Laminated screens are much more fragile!
I got round to fitting the replacement last Thursday and my first attempt it would not go in at the left end. Using the string (well actually electrical single wire as I have plenty) I started at the middle bottom and went anti clockwise round the rubber, This went well until I got to the left hand section where it went very tight, I then went from the centre bottom and manged to almost get the rubber over the lip, but not quite and no amount of pushing would get the screen to seat.
I removed the screen, re inserted the wire and after re wetting the rubber and screen aperture with soapy water tried again. This time I had the two ends of the wire at the top, the thinking being it's better for the screen to drop slightly as the screen tapers out top to bottom. This time i also went in both directions so that I was at the top corners simultaneously so as to try and keep the screen as central as possible. Pulling on both ends of the wire I was able to get a reasonable fit all round although the right side (from inside the car) is not quite as 'home' as I would like, but it is OK.

Sorry for the rather long explanation but my feeling is that the screen is overlong or the screen rubber (From CHris Witor) is incorrect in section, i.e. too fat, or it could be a bit of both. I intent to write to the glass supplier, Pilkingtons, and mention my problem. What I would like is to have some feedback from others before I do so?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

johnconradlee

Re: Front windscreen.

#2 Post by johnconradlee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:20 pm

There are two ways to fit the screen, either the workshop method (seal to car, string screen into seal, fit trim) or the string it all in method (seal to screen, fit trim, string whole lot to car). Both methods seem to be popular and I'm not sure which one is easiest (I'm pretty sure it's an utter b*#st@rd of a job using either technique!). If one method isn't working for you, maybe try the other one?
I used the string it all in method when I replaced the screen (admittedly a toughened one) and it went tolerably well once I realised it was easier to start in at the bottom so I wasn't fighting gravity on the last bit.
The main test I suppose is if it leaks, if it's fine I'd suggest you leave it alone.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

Alec

#3 Post by Alec » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Hello all,

further to my earlier post I have contacted Chris Witor who told me that this is a known problem and that the screens he supplies made by another manufacturer address this problem.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Alec

#4 Post by Alec » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Hello John,

it's not really that bad a job, having done a few over the years, like everything it gets easier the more you do, except when the screen is overlong as seems to be the case with Pilkington's screens. Perhaps about ten minutes work, after all is prepared, and that's getting in and out the car to seat the screen as I work alone.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Hymer 564 Motorhome.