Do I splash out on new carpets?

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Phil T
Do I splash out on new carpets?

#1 Post by Phil T » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:23 pm

I have stripped the carpet out and the passenger seat as the car (Mk2 2000) has the dreaded failure round the handbrake and needs welding up.

The question is shall I splash out on a new carpet set (the old one is a bit naff)? The only bit not removed is the one over the gearbox. Will I need to remove the console to get this out? The carpet picture on Rimmers site seems to have a split joint in that piece.

johnnydog

Re: Do I splash out on new carpets?

#2 Post by johnnydog » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:35 pm

The original transmission tunnel carpet does require the centre console to be removed to get it out in one piece, although a cut under the gearlever gaitor base will help release it with a bit of jiggling, although this will be made easier if the screws into the transmission tunnel under the gaitor are slackened / removed to allow some jiggle room. Getting it back though may be a bit more difficult with the centre console in situ.
Personally, I would avoid aftermarket / remanufactured carpets if at all possible. I have yet to see a set which have the correct fabric / weave, or fit correctly. Invariably they are a poor fit, and require a degree of cutting and glueing to fit anything like they should. Finding original nos carpets is now difficult, but I would definitely consider secondhand, even if a repair is needed, rather then a repro set if nos cannot be found. At least they will fit properly.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red