Front Seats

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Alan Chatterton
Front Seats

#11 Post by Alan Chatterton » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:11 am

Standard seats have no lateral support and the backs are very low. Wait until you drive one with different seats, youll be converted!

Alan Chatterton
Chairman
Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

Charles H

Re: Front Seats

#12 Post by Charles H » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:20 am

The PI has the original non headrest seats and are amazingly comfortable even on very long journeys. The rally car, an early vinyl seat car offered no lateral support at all, and for rallying meant I was slopping all over the place even with a harness. I also wanted headrests for the added security they offer. I originally had some Mk1 XJ seats fitted which looked great (period) and were very comfortable. Unfortunately the leather suffered the ravishes of time, and have now been swopped for Alfa 156 seats. These were very easy to fit onto the original threaded nuts on the floor pan without having to construct a subframe. Just a bit of lateral force to very slightly spread the runners once a suitable hole drilled in them and using torx bolts because the runners are thinner. You need a good big 'penny washer' to spread the load on the floor and use the Triumph spacers.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 pm

I've got Rover 620 seats in my PI (as Colin mentioned). I designed and made up the adapter plates to fit them to the Triumph runners. It was all written up in Six Appeal a year or so ago - if that helps!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Forkie

#14 Post by Forkie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:05 pm

I must be a real odd ball ( no replies please :lol: ) - have driven quite a few cars ( no Jags though!), have owned a 156 for a while too. I Have always suffered with my back and the Triumph is the only car of later years that does not play it up :o ? Both the Audi and Passat after 20 miles or so make me start to fidget,the 156 was just the same,as was the V6 Vectra (date range of that lot '99 - '05) yet the 'S' was great. Norfolk to Cornwall painfree (for those that may pick up the time scale there,the bad back I have had a long time!) - I can't wait to get it back on the tarmac and have painfree driving again!!! Time will tell I suppose :)
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

englishbull

#15 Post by englishbull » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:57 am

Had Alfa 156 seats in my PI and are really comfy.
Got a red set to fit in the 65 tuned car and the colour match is bang on!!!!!!!!!!
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate

thebrookster
Groupie
Groupie

#16 Post by thebrookster » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:22 pm

I have the Alfa 156 seats in my MkI, and I have to say it is by far the most comfortable of cars I have ever driven. I can happily wallop the miles out with no need for rests due to sore muscles.

I am also fitting the rear seats from the 156 in my car, need a bit of modifying to fit properly but nothing major. I suspect I shall need to lop a bit more off yet, as the fit is rather "snug" and then I can look at permanent fixings (they are fixed in just now, but not yet at the standard I wish!). Then I can fit some seatbelts as well............

Cheers,

Phil

willjan

#17 Post by willjan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:28 pm

A good diaphragm makes the world of difference to a standard seat.i can vouch for that.The 200 mile each way trip too Amanda and Colin,used to leave me with backache for days,and my back is not known for problems normally :D
No backrests of course in mk1 seats. :(

Bill.
jan and bill radford.

65'C' mk1 saloon in black over cactus ,matador int
67'E'.T6 GT6.yellow,black int.

torque2me

#18 Post by torque2me » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Forkie wrote:Just browsin' ... as they say,noticed this post,and it's not the first time iv'e come across 'seat options' for these cars.

I am wondering if I am maybe missing something on this topic - as I tell everyone that I end up talking to about the car, that the seats in the 2500S are the most comfortable that I have ever sat in - 'armchair' like. I would not change them for anything??? Strange that we all have such differing opinions!
Yes, I agree but my 2500S seat set need a refurb. The fronts with diaphrams and webbing. Front and rears new brushed nylon covers. Now, the fronts can be refurbished rubber/padding wise but no brushed nylon in biscuit has been seen since xxxx (= put year one fancies after 1977), hence everyone looks for alternatives.

Kev

kevinw

#19 Post by kevinw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:32 am

I might have posted this before in the past (I can't remember). I was speaking to an upholsterer years ago who did some work for me and who had recently at the time done a complete retrim on a Dolomite with brushed nylon seats. These were in the chocolate brown colour, rather than tan and as he explained, none of the colours that Triumph used are available, but there is or may be a close alternative available. The main difference being that the original is "imperial" and the modern metric - so to explain better, if the ribs on the original are 1/8th inch, the new stuff is 3mm. Doing all the seats, the difference wouldn't be noticeable, but doing just a single seat it would be.

TSSC were talking a few years ago about obtaining a stock of new covers. There was a notice in SIXappeal, but there wasn't enough interest to warrant taking it forward as I recall.

Kevin
Kevin Warrington

No longer any Triumphs in the garage
but there is a bright red Mercedes SLK250

Calorian
Groupie
Groupie

#20 Post by Calorian » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Having just fitted a pair of 156 seats to my MK2 I wanted some opinions on the security/safety of the stilts I made up to stop them fouling on the floor. I feel reasonably confident about them but a second opinion never hurts.

Im using the Triumph rails with adjusted holes on the seats. The large washer is next to the seat to account for the slightly misshapen holes but I wondered if I should put another between the spacer and the rail to spread the load at this point also.

Cheers,

My Triumph Blog

:: The Fleet ::
HLO 2000 MKII Manual O/D face lift, British Racing Green
BEL 2000 MKII Auto, Sapphire Blue
:: Previously ::
MLT Ice Blue MKII auto, LYL New White MKII auto and UPO Vermilion Dolomite 1850HL