Another seat belt question….

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
Sal
Another seat belt question….

#1 Post by Sal » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:42 pm

Car = 1967 MK1 2000

I’m about to order front seat belts but want the newer retractable inertia ones however the hole for the retractor part seems to be on the floor rather than the B post and I think that would mean the retractor part won’t work properly.

Any advise here? These are the ones I’ve been looking at on eBay - 173258546388

Secondly…. When buying rear seat belts can I only buy lap belts or can I get retractable ones here too? Not sure I can see the top hole that would generally connect over your shoulder.

Hope all that makes sense but any advise would be welcomed

Thanks
Damian

Charles H

Re: Another seat belt question….

#2 Post by Charles H » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:13 am

Hi Sal
On your second point, there is a drilling in the parcel shelf for the top mount on a three point seatbelt. Even the trimmed parcel shelf has the cut out in the hardboard ready to go. I find that non inertia rear belts work best.
I have harnesses in my Mk1 that clip onto the eyelets in the floor. Perhaps someone else may have a solution.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Carboy0

#3 Post by Carboy0 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Securon list both three point retractable and static harnesses for front and rear seats.

http://www.securon.co.uk/applications/a ... riumph.htm
Chris

Member 7910
Saffron 2000 TC Man O/D - actually 2500 TC Man O/D - bit of a project.
Magenta Stag 3.0 Man O/D

Clifford Pope

#4 Post by Clifford Pope » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:13 pm

I'm not sure I get your point about the retractor part not working as it's on the floor. The ebay item seems to me to be designed to go on the floor, so should surely be fine?
It looks like the modern version of my original ones, but with a semi-rigid connecting bit between the seats bolted to the floor in the back. Mine just has a long floppy bit of belt, which is a bit fiddly and tends to get mixed up with the passenger belt.

The original belt on mine is only just long enough - it's a tight sqeeze to get in pulling the belt out to its full extent. But I've discovered there are belt extenders, which bolt quite unobtrusively between the lower door post bolt and the end of the belt.

I discovered when looking through my stock of old belts from a variety of cars that automatic tightening belts work on two different principles. The original Triumph have a large ball bearing which shoots to the front down a tube on braking and stops it unwinding, whereas later ones work on tugging the belt. This seems to me to be better. The ball kind stops the belt being released when facing downhill even when stationary and you want to get out.

david_lall

#5 Post by david_lall » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:18 pm

I had my Triumph belts refurbished and modernised, it's probably not the cheapest option but it gave a classic look - here's a link to the well established company that did the belts

https://www.quickfitsbs.com/
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry