Fuel gauge

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Jreg2000
Fuel gauge

#1 Post by Jreg2000 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi guys

The fuel gauge in my 2000 mk2 is not working,any ideas?
I am thinking possibly sender unit,hows the best way of checking to see if it is the problem?

iani

Re: Fuel gauge

#2 Post by iani » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:55 pm

Does your temperature gauge work? if so your voltage stabiliser is hopefully ok.

Are both wires connected to the fuel gauge? any current present?

The sender itself is easy to remove, you might want to get a new seal ready (Wins sell ethanol proof ones). you can gently remove the sender and move it throughout its arc, you will then see if there is any gauge movement. Might be challenging finding a new sender unfortunately, I got Mick Dolphin's last NoS one recently.
1966 2000 Mk1 Estate - Cherry Red (2.5 PI conversion)
1968 Mk1 GT6 - Wedgewood, 2.5l Triple DCOEs
1973 2.5 PI Saloon - Honeysuckle

Alec

Re: Fuel gauge

#3 Post by Alec » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:06 am

Hello Jreg,

a simple check for function is to short the sender wire (green/black) to earth. The fuel gauge should then read full (ignition on of course). The other white/green wire is for the low fuel level lamp.
If the fuel gauge does not react to that short then it is at the fuel gauge end, not the sender. If the temperature gauge is working that means the supply is there from the regulator and you will need to check the fuel gauge connections. If neither work then check from the fuse for poor connections or a faulty regulator (Which should be earthed to the case)

Let us know how you get on.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.