HS6 Carb linkage

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Montrosian
Groupie
Groupie
HS6 Carb linkage

#1 Post by Montrosian » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:57 am

Hello all whilst on the subject of carbs my car is a 1976 Mk2 2000TC, Can anyone tell me if there is meant to be adjustment on the throttle linkage bar?, To me there seems to be too much slackness on the bar of mine and a delay between the pedal and any response at the carbs and it seems to be wanting to stall even when warmed up.
If not this has anyone any ideas please, Regards, Keith.

Montrosian
Groupie
Groupie

Re: HS6 Carb linkage

#2 Post by Montrosian » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:17 am

As a further to my post I've been reading some of the earlier posts regarding fuel evaporation and noticed that the front carb heat shield is broken so that may explain the engine wanting to stall I think?.

johnnydog

#3 Post by johnnydog » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 am

Hi Keith,
If the throttle pedal free play is particularly excessive, you can adjust the free play of the throttle cable at the adjuster at the bracket at the carb linkage end, but it needs a bit of free play to ensure that the butterflies shut fully.
Ideally, the throttle and choke cable should be disconnected or at least fully slackened off before making any adjustments to the air flow or to the linkage.
The linkage itself between both carbs is also adjustable.
Ideally, the linkage and throttle stop screws need to be slackened off fully so that both carbs are independent of each other, before setting the air flow equally between the two carbs with an airflow meter (or the traditional way of listening to the hiss, but I find this a lot less accurate) and adjusting the throttle stop screws to get a balanced airflow. Once this has been set, tighten both linkages, ensuring the lug that contacts the butterfly linkage to open the butterflies is correctly adjusted so that both open simultaneously. This doesn't need much free play, although there needs to be some slight movement before the lug contacts the butterfly spindles linkage to ensure that they both move at the same time. It is probably more difficult to explain than visualising the procedure whilst looking at it!
Even when correctly adjusted, there will always be a bit of free play at the throttle pedal before the linkage moves, if only to ensure everything shuts off fully when the throttle is released.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Montrosian
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Montrosian » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:19 pm

Thank you very much for the reply very informative.