Sump plug position

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Jake
Groupie
Groupie
Sump plug position

#1 Post by Jake » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:33 am

Hi All, is there any ready way to ID an Engine block other than the Engine number stamp. I am looking at one and the top of the block has been machined off! (Not sure why they would do that).
I seem to remember someone telling me the sump plug position was different for the TR6 which is what I have been told the engine is from.
It doesn't have the saloon engine mounts on the front conversion plate but these could have been cut off.
Anyway hoping for guidance.
Thanks Jake.

Charles H

Re: Sump plug position

#2 Post by Charles H » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:52 am

sumps are interchangeable, but the TR6 plug is central on the back (I think, possibly the front). The saloon one is to the rear on one side. The TR6 is mounted using bolt on items to the square castings either side of the block. But, as you say, it could have come from either.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Jake » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:22 pm

Hi Charles, many thanks for your thoughts, this aligns with my recollection that the sump plug on the TR6 is front and centre. I believe the engine is more likely from a saloon.
Back in the day I've cut the front plate down to mount saloon engines into GT6, Vitesse etc. but nobody bothers to change the sump. :oops:

Clifford Pope

#4 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:02 pm

I've always assumed the sump drain plug is fitted at the lowest point - isn't that the rear nearside?

Does the TR6 engine tilt forwards?

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by Jake » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:01 am

Hi Cliff, I believe it is a matter of access though I don't know. Anyway here are a couple of photos I took at a show this weekend.
Tr5 sump.jpeg
TR6 sump.jpeg
They are a bit dark but both the TR5 and early TR6 sump pans are the same with the oil drain to the front end of the sump and in the centre, the sump being appropriately shaped to make that the lowest point.