New (excited) owner

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
osholt
Groupie
Groupie
New (excited) owner

#1 Post by osholt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi!

Thanks, for having me on the forum.

I bought my first classic today and I'm pleased to say it's a Triumph 2000 Mk2 from 1972!

I'm sure there are eBay-watchers on here so for the interested this is the car's listing.

The car itself has a few niggles and has been through 10 owners according to the V5. At least one of them has been a member of the register based on the windscreen sticker.

The car came with very little history and I am interested to find out as much as I can, particularly relating to when some of the repairs happened and who did them.

I'm sending off to the DVLA for previous owners' details but I would be interested to know what the club knows about this car too. Any tips on how to start this process?

The car itself is well presented and very clean inside but with a few niggles that I plan on addressing over the coming months (and years) but I must say I am not at all disappointed with the car!

Driving the 150 miles to get it home was a baptism by fire which it handled without breaking a sweat!

Thanks,

Oliver
Register Member No. 7822-01/17

Triumph 2000 Mk2 Sapphire Blue (1972) - Currently being upgraded to 2.5 EFI
Triumph TR7 Convertible Persian Aqua Blue (1980) - Press car, nearly on the road!
Mini Clubvan Cooper D Ice Blue (2012)

David Withers

Re: New (excited) owner

#2 Post by David Withers » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:38 am

Hello Oliver.

The best way to get any history on the car from the Register is to join it (if you haven't already done so) and then submit a letter, or preferably an article with photos, asking for any known history. You'll need to include the registration number (or photos of the car showing it), which info is I think missing from your forum enquiry.

Let's hope your initial enjoyment of the car lasts for many years. I have a 2500 of the same year which I bought 42 years ago and I still enjoy driving it, though it doesn't get out much these days.

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Hello Oliver and welcome to the forum.
First of all, I think David missed the link in your original post to the ebay listing of your car, I was watching this 'til it suddenly disappeared! Not with any intention to bid, I may add, I've got too many cars already, including one of that year and colour ! A good looking car in sapphire blue, but I'm not too sure about the 'rubber duck' aerial and the under bumper spoiler!
Whereabouts in the country are you, as there local Register group meetings up and down, so there's probably one near you.
Also, if you've not already done this, you can get some of your cars more recent MOT history here..........
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Good luck with your enquiries.
Dave.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

osholt
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by osholt » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks David and Dave!

The aerial (it doesn't even get good reception!) and the front spoiler (apparently it's from a Golf) are on the list of things I want to address, along with a lot of other small things. The paint for the most part is very good as it has been resprayed sometime in the last 20 years and the previous owner went to town tidying it up. The interior is also cosmetically very good although the rear seats need fixing down a bit better.

I'm in West Surrey. I had a brief chat with Richard Brake on the phone earlier this evening to see if the meetings are still going ahead but unfortunately interest has dried up around these parts. The next nearest meeting is in Reigate which is a bit of a trek for us. My dad is a member of the TR Register so I attend their meetings around here anyway.

I checked out the MOT history before viewing and buying it and it's had no failures or advisories since at least 2010 when online records began. That said the front tyres are no very good so they'll be changed out fairly soon.

For completeness, the registration number is DRO 821K in Sapphire Blue. If you do know anything about this car's history please contact me.

Thanks,

Oliver
Register Member No. 7822-01/17

Triumph 2000 Mk2 Sapphire Blue (1972) - Currently being upgraded to 2.5 EFI
Triumph TR7 Convertible Persian Aqua Blue (1980) - Press car, nearly on the road!
Mini Clubvan Cooper D Ice Blue (2012)