Globe-trotting Mk1 Estate

New to the forum? Just joined the Register? Introduce yourself here.
rhalkyard
Globe-trotting Mk1 Estate

#1 Post by rhalkyard » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:48 am

I'm new to the register, but certainly not to Triumphs – my first car was an NZ-assembled 2500TC, and at one point, three generations of my family had big sixes in daily use. I've always had a soft spot for them, but after moving to the US a few years ago, thought that I wouldn't see another, let alone be able to own one.

However... I am now in the final stages of getting a rather special (to me) Mk1 2000 estate shipped to me! My grandparents bought it new in 1968, and brought it with them when the emigrated to New Zealand in the '70s. They never saw the point in replacing a perfectly good car, and so it remained in daily use until last year, when my grandmother decided that, being well into her eighties, a more modern car might make life easier. When the suggestion of selling it came up, I rashly offered to take it with me to the US, and that was that.

With 200,000 miles on the clock, it's rather well-used, and there's definitely some rot in the usual places, as well as plenty of battle scars. Still, I'm thrilled to be taking it on, and look forward to owning a car that will be, I imagine, unique in the US!

'68 2000 Estate, white w/ black interior – in the family since new, bought in England, shipped to NZ, now in the US!
'56 MGA Roadster - '85 VW Scirocco - '96 Volvo 850R Estate

TedTaylor

Re: Globe-trotting Mk1 Estate

#2 Post by TedTaylor » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:14 pm

What a brilliant story. Look forward to hearing how things progress. :D

MUT
Member 4473 1990
1964 2000 period rally look alike AFH 849B
Morris 1800 London-Sydney/Monte/WCR NAM 616G
Mk1 PI Estate SCG 115G
2500 Estate WDE 76K RBRR 2014