Mk1 PFL Estate

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
iani
Re: Mk1 PFL Estate

#21 Post by iani » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:57 pm

I fitted a hazard relay, switch & warning light today, easiest one I've ever fitted, there are even spare bullet connectors on the indicator wiring, just need to decide where to mount the switch now, it's currently on the parcel shelf.
1966 2000 Mk1 Estate - Cherry Red (2.5 PI conversion)
1968 Mk1 GT6 - Wedgewood, 2.5l Triple DCOEs
1973 2.5 PI Saloon - Honeysuckle

iani

#22 Post by iani » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:12 pm

This evening's improvement consisted of replacing the broken plastic door lock button on the drivers door with a new one, not a great improvement but progress just the same, I then sunk a load more cash into Chris Witor's bank account, a set of door seals & a tailgate and rear window seals. Not sure when I'll get round to fitting the door seals, they are needed now but I suspect it's an easier job when it's a bit warmer than it is now.

iani

#23 Post by iani » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:50 pm

I had water leaking in from the front windscreen seal, it had obviously been fitted for a long time and showed evidence of several attempts at sealing it, I took the car to James Godfrey-Dunn who is a whiz at the tricky art of fitting the seal trims. We found a couple of holes and a lot of surface rust, these were all treated with kurust and the small holes given an appropriate filling. The tailgate seal had also seen better day so that was replaced too, no holes there but a dose of kurust applied to the bottom edge. A successful day and the car is looking even better now.
Attachments
Screen frame 1.jpg

iani

#24 Post by iani » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:02 pm

The radiator was showing signs of being silted up, only a small area was heating up, on a decent run coolant was blowing into the overflow bottle, no sign of high temp though. I swapped the radiator out today, hopefully that will sort the issue out. I also fitted a new tailgate hinge cover, a big improvement, the light still doesn't work though, not seeing any voltage, suspecting a disconnected wire somewhere else in the loom.

Forkie

#25 Post by Forkie » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:11 pm

Sounds like you really are cracking on with it . You have done more in 14 days than i did in 14 years :lol: These cars are great though, having finally got mine back out there recently just reminded me just why i never threw in the towel and sold it as 'another unfinished project' . That was never going to happen. To me there is just nothing else out there to match it. And my 12 year old lad absolutely loves it - so that can only be a positive to the future for these cars :D
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

iani

#26 Post by iani » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:22 pm

Forkie wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:11 pm
Sounds like you really are cracking on with it . You have done more in 14 days than i did in 14 years :lol: These cars are great though, having finally got mine back out there recently just reminded me just why i never threw in the towel and sold it as 'another unfinished project' . That was never going to happen. To me there is just nothing else out there to match it. And my 12 year old lad absolutely loves it - so that can only be a positive to the future for these cars :D
My 16yo daughter hates my Triumphs, she actually asked me if I had to "humiliate" her by picking her up from school in my PI, I told her no, I don't have to pick her up at all, she can get the bus! She hasn't said it again but the looks tell me all I need to know, the Estate has taken it even further, the door seals hanging off isn't a great look!

I should have some new tyres arriving tomorrow and I'm collecting a set of TR6 steel rims, powdercoated black on Sunday, that will freshen the look up a bit.

Forkie

#27 Post by Forkie » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:44 pm

Yeeeaah i can kind of see a 16 year old female being not quite so keen... today it is all about 300mph in a lambo right? Now that is cool.... not. I do think we are all going to struggle with the encouragement in the future, wont be easy, all we can do is try ! I think in my case, the excitement is there at the minute as since birth ,my lad has been brought up with ' oh, that is just the car in the garage' . But all of a sudden - it moves, it drives (albeit with no speed :roll: ) , but the one thing i have told him is ' forget Lambos, Ferrari, etc - this has FOUR seats, a massive boot space, and none of your mates' dads' will have one - find another ! And thats what makes it special - you cant just go online and order one . He has not had a good run of things lately but since this car has been back on the road it has brought back some fun for him, he loves it,makes him happy when i say ' lets go' ! That to me is priceless - this car, at almost 48, makes him happy. good enough for me. Hopefully your daughter at some point will feel it too :)
Member Number 7392 04/07

iani

#28 Post by iani » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:59 pm

Spot of touch up paint fun today, a large number of chips sorted around the car. I was at Rimmers this morning returning a radiator to get the exchange money back, took the opportunity to pick up a late Mk1 wiper switch unit, this was the right size to take the twin speed switch I bought from Lee recently, next step is to fit the motor. I also swapped my ammeter wires round, the gauge now indicates correctly post my neg earth conversion, minor improvements, little & often, keeps me enthused.

iani

#29 Post by iani » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:56 pm

I'm still struggling with cooling issues with this car, coolant not circulating, temp gauge going quickly to high, dumping coolant via overflow bottle. I'm going to change the head gasket, will give me an opportunity to see into water jacket if nothing else. Treated the car to a repainted rocker cover today, at least it looks better if not running so.
Attachments
Rocker.jpg

Forkie

#30 Post by Forkie » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:41 pm

Memory jog.... i don't THINK this is exclusive to mine ( as in a later model) , but it was a long time ago for me.... I was given the heads up on a well hidden metal return pipe that runs alongside the head (drivers side) under the manifold that is 95% neglected as a) it is not seen. b) it is not known about. c) pffft too much work involved - leave it for the next owner......I ripped mine out early doors, was pretty clogged up... fitted a CW SS with new olive , just so i knew it was done....on memory it was only maybe a 3/8 bore? Just maybe worth checking that out..... but it could also be ,amongst other things, a blocked/ sludged up head.

Regards,Nige.
Member Number 7392 04/07