Interlude Mk2 brakes

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
M5driver
Groupie
Groupie
Interlude Mk2 brakes

#1 Post by M5driver » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi, I thought as a break from the MK1 pi engine overhaul, I would get on with fixing the rear dragging brake on the MK2.
After much verbal abuse to the car it looks like the culprit has been found. The adjusters have worn too much. Basically when the brakes where applied the offside rear would stick on enough so the drum was a pig to get off. I also found under the grease that had been applied to the hand brake cable was hiding corrosion and broke strands! So new adjusters and a rear cable fitted.
While under the car the exhaust showed signs of blowing. So the back two sections have been removed. They came off so easily which was odd I thought. It turns out that there was hardly any jointing paste used! So it looks like I better pay attention to the center section forward joint as well. The pigs nose clamp had rotted away and was doing nothing as such. So this need replacing as well.
Chris Lennard Mem 1906
Triumph 2.5pi MK1 1969 Damson, tan interior
TRiumph 2.5pi MKII 1972 Mallard, black interior
BMW E34 M5 LE 47/50 Orinoco Green
VW Golf mk6 Bluemotion Black

johnnydog

Re: Interlude Mk2 brakes

#2 Post by johnnydog » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 pm

On the subject of exhausts Chris, for years now I have used the red RTV silicone (heat resistant) to join the exhaust sections. The benefits are that the joints slide together better as it also acts as a lubricant, it provides a good gas tight seal with only moderate tightening of the clamps, but the other benefit is that the sections can be separated with relative ease if need be at a later date. Old silicone can easily be cleaned off the ends of the pipes.
Exhaust paste /cement dries like concrete, making subsequent separating of the exhaust sections more difficult. It is also harder to remove the remains of it if refitting the existing exhaust sections. I've used the RTV on all my Triumphs and my Vauxhall Omegas and wouldn't use anything else!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red