Mk1 Pi Restoration

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
Tinsmith_Skippy
Re: Mk1 Pi Restoration

#11 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:17 pm

johnnydog wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:57 pm
Tinsmith_Skippy wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:33 pm
Charles H wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:11 am
Certainly looks to have more metal than my rally car did!!
I’ve been speaking to your welding man recently. Really nice fella!
Are we having bets on whether the Mk1 PI saloon or the Mk1 PI estate is finished first....?
Hello John How you doing?

My sensible political answer. As long as the desired result is achieved in the restorations, time is no factor.
Now my cheeky competitive streak comes out! I've got it in the bag! However he has more to do on the estate by the looks of it.

Anyway a little update and some more pictures as the car is in the spray shop end of next week. EeeK!

The Seam Sealing

Epoxy Primer old school red oxide.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#12 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Unable to Attend Stoneleigh this weekend as the car was being stone guarded today. :( :D

johnnydog

#13 Post by johnnydog » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm

I'm good thanks Ross! Your progress on the Mk1 PI is amazing, and the quality of your work never ceases to amaze me!
I went Stoneleigh today - a good day with a lot of visitors on the stand. Looking round the autojumble though confirmed that the prices being asked for nos items gets higher every year.....☹
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Tinsmith_Skippy

#14 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 am

johnnydog wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm
I'm good thanks Ross! Your progress on the Mk1 PI is amazing, and the quality of your work never ceases to amaze me!
I went Stoneleigh today - a good day with a lot of visitors on the stand. Looking round the autojumble though confirmed that the prices being asked for nos items gets higher every year.....☹
Hello John Hope your well and dodging the virus! I've never been to Stoneleigh before, I guess like the cost of living is going up to fast I've noticed the price and availability of donor cars are few and far between and when they do come up the prices now reflect the cost of the spares. I've only been working on these cars for the last 6 years and seen this in a very short amount of time. I think eBay is is ok, I've bought some dud items, however you do come across some gems where people are clearing items they don't know what they have. Dad seems to find them like 4 brand new in boxes TR5 wheel trims for £50! Have you fittted your NOS gear stick Gaiter Yet :wink: ?

A little update as its been a while. The car was going to the sprayers in February but he keeps delaying and delaying it so I've decided to dip into his kitty, otherwise with the money set aside burning a hole in my pocket there are temptations!https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233561566370 but if I did I would only have enough money to throw some petrol in it and blow over with some clearcoat :wink:

I've opted to build a tent inside the garage so my equipment will be saved from being covered in overspray, which is annoying as I can only spray small sections at a time. A little tedious as I'm doing 2 coats not so bad whe it comes to the top coat.

I'm a complete beginner with spraying so with a few you tube videos under my belt i'm gong for it. So first I've bought this Devilbiss FLG 5 with a 1.8 needle setup here is the unboxing like you tube.

From before its in the red epoxy primer this is a lechler 29107 (3 litres for the body) which you can get tinted to the colur of your car which is cool.

A quick all over block with 320 grit showed up some dents and lows so this was back to bare metal f filler applied for surface corrections only and sealed with the primer again.

Masked up, panel wipe, tack rag and a wet floor now for the next coat of epoxy primer lechler 29107 (3 litres) in appliance white 8) !

Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#15 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:49 am

This message is quite Annoying it wasn't always like this someone has changed it and some off my post have less pictures.
The maximum number of URLs allowed is 5.

Under the bonnet was prepped using sponge sanding pads 320 grit 400 grit finally 600 grit followed by grey scotch bright pad. After the 320 grit any surface defects where sorted with a stopper filler and used a dolphin glaze from a recommendation from the paint suppler.

So prepped under the bonnet ready for top coat, 28 days later (movie pun intended) this is where I'm up too and where I left off. I'm now on maths tuition with my 4 year old and had to slow down a little while Gus is off school.
Feeling Positive :D
Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles H

#16 Post by Charles H » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:23 pm

It is perhaps the one thing keeping you sane Ross!!!! Great work.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Tinsmith_Skippy

#17 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Muddling through it as always Charles. Hope you and the family are doing Well.

Ian3781

#18 Post by Ian3781 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Fine patient work, can't wait to see it in one of the events we may one day get to visit.
My son will gladly use you as a consultant, he has a 1969 LHD white Mk1 PI to rebuild. It's in bits right now and with the lockdown,
it's going to be a while before he gets to it.
The engine is shot but I have a donor mk2 PI so hopefully we cna get my Mk2 and his Mk1 completed.

I was lucky enough to visit Stoneleigh last year, and met some of the Register staff there which was nice.
I was also able to pick up a lovely typically British green pullover with the register logo. Lovely cloth BTW.

I guess I had expectations too high for Stoneleigh. What I learned is that stall owners mostly only bring easily sold bits. Rarer stuff they leave at home. Useful but not practical when you live in France like me.

Which spare part has been the hardest for you to source so far?

Thanks
ian
Life is better in a Triumph PI

Tinsmith_Skippy

#19 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Hello Ian welcome to the forum. To answer some of your questions, my dad always says don't throw anything away.

The engine in a Mk1 Pi would be a CR prefix and a number below 6800 on a british registered, I'm not sure about the overseas numbering. Anyway the crankshafts in a Mk1 pi are unique and what they call a long back cross drilled, so these and the engines very rarely do they come up for sale, if they do the they are used in the TR5 models so they can be sort after and be pricey. So unless a piston is hanging out of the block it is worth holding on to the engine if it is the original one. Bearing in mind unless you change the clutch or main bearing oil seals you will never know if its a short or long back when insitu.

My was car was complete when I bought it and the list below would be my hard to obtain list.
and items which you want to store in cotton wool and don't break

Overdrive Column Stalk
Injection Bonnet Chrome Cowling
Air Filter Housing and the original grey pipes
Steering Wheel
Flat indicator lenses on the B post
nos wheel trims
Badges Bumper 2500 Badge and 2.5 Pi Boot Badge
Seats original ones, all of them hard to find.
I could do with a front grill, not looking forward to getting one of those.

Very early cars:
Petrol Swirlpot
No air screw type throttle bodies.

I was given an incomplete early 2000, I put out a list of bits I needed and had no joy really, so up against it I sold the shell which was savable. I've recently found its fubar now. :( unfortunately cant save them all.

If there is anything you need or reference pictures we're more than happy to help you out give us a shout.
Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#20 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:26 pm