Mk1 Pi Restoration

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
johnnydog
Re: Mk1 Pi Restoration

#21 Post by johnnydog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Tinsmith_Skippy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 am
johnnydog wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm
I'm good thanks Ross! Your progress on the Mk1 PI is amazing, and the quality of your work never ceases to amaze me!
I went Stoneleigh today - a good day with a lot of visitors on the stand. Looking round the autojumble though confirmed that the prices being asked for nos items gets higher every year.....☹
Hello John Hope your well and dodging the virus! I've never been to Stoneleigh before, I guess like the cost of living is going up to fast I've noticed the price and availability of donor cars are few and far between and when they do come up the prices now reflect the cost of the spares. I've only been working on these cars for the last 6 years and seen this in a very short amount of time. I think eBay is is ok, I've bought some dud items, however you do come across some gems where people are clearing items they don't know what they have. Dad seems to find them like 4 brand new in boxes TR5 wheel trims for £50! Have you fittted your NOS gear stick Gaiter Yet :wink: ?
Hi Ross,
Yes, I'm well and hoping to stay well too!! From a personal point of view, the main benefit to the lockdown is that I am tackling all the jobs that I have been putting off for ages - the good weather is a bonus, but unfortunately these jobs up to now have been outside household jobs, and not car related! Getting items you need for these jobs is challenging if you haven't got them in unfortunately..... But I'm working on moving onto the cars before too long.... :D
The gear lever gator Ross - I bought a nos Mk2 base and gaitor in its packaging on Ebay (is that the one you are on about??), but I also bought a nos gaitor at Stoneleigh this year - both are now in safe storage for the time being!!
Your white PI is certainly coming on Ross; beside your excellent welding skills, you seem to have carried your abilities into the paint spraying department! The last time I did any serious painting on a Triumph with a spray gun was in the late 80's when I gave a 1966 Wedgewood Mk1 2000 a bottom half respray. That was in cellulose of course which was very easy to work with compared to modern day paints. Wedgewood was a good colour to work with, easy to match (it was mainly by eye of course), and errors easy to rectify!
Keep up the good work Ross and photos; your work on the car is fantastic, and its a pleasure to read about the progress!
Look after yourself and family in these challenging times :)
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Tinsmith_Skippy

#22 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:52 pm

Good to hear you keeping busy John! Every time I go to order bits from Toolstation everything is sold out for delivery, I guess everyone is home improving as you say in these challenging times. Yep I've swapped hats and now a sprayer :lol: or a pretender. I've done some celly spraying on parts not panels, whilst not as harmful to your health it is still hard. So much more technical with the extra thinning on the final coats. 2k seems quite forgiving as you can flat and polish discrepancies due its hardness, well I hope you can if it comes to it. I recognised your address on the gaitor when dad sent it out. All the best to you and the family stay safe fella.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#23 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun May 03, 2020 4:47 pm

Managed to get to the workshop on Friday to shoot some paint at the engine bay. Dipping into the painters kitty bought me a ANI 150Q mini spray gun A little smaller gun to get in the awkward areas. I also added an extra water trap and regulator I thought this would improve the pressure drop going through 2 stages (I’ll add a picture as and when). With some water thrown down the primer coat blown down degreased and tack cloth and the gun loaded with a thinned base coat 1:1 applied with a wide open fan 30 PSI on the guage, with the gun a little away from the surface a foundation coat. Had a cup of tea then applied a wet coat and just tightened up the fan a little to get the paint in the tighter areas and moved the gun a little closer to. I managed to hit the cup an a seen surface so waiting 20 mins, this was rubbed out with 1200 grit and lightly puffed in.

Basecoat:

Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Sun May 03, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#24 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun May 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Gun cleaned on with the clear, HB Body HS 699 applied same as above. All sorted had 2 runs which I’ve flatted back today (Sunday). The clear flowed out quite nicely so maybe just a light mop on the wheel front arches and chassis rail areas and that should be good.

Onto the boot next.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#25 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 am

A little update as the lock down eased work recommenced on the PI 6 weeks ago so Im continuing to spray the car. From the last post I have now sprayed the boot.

Primer:

Prep with a little filler as there was a little pitting when the rust was removed, then re-primed and sanded with a grey scotch bright pad

Paint base and clear:

Tinsmith_Skippy

#26 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:57 am

So after the boot was completed I’ve now moved on to the main body. There is no way I can spray this in one hit with the space and conditions. So I’m masking and spraying it in sections in this order: roof & front windscreen, door jams & sills, front end and rear end. And this is how I got on in pictures. Oh sorry forgot to take pictures the roof and door jams to busy concentrating.

So we pick up the progress at the rear sections.

I chose yo use the 3m dry guide coat, this is really good shows up all the imperfection so these were sanded out with 320 400 600 and then to 800 until smooth.

For the blocking I purchased some Durablock sanders they seem a popular choice on the you tube videos.

Blocking

Base Coat

Clear

Tinsmith_Skippy

#27 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:59 am

Front End, It’s pretty much repetitive job.

Panels more sanding……..

More paint…….

Tinsmith_Skippy

#28 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:25 am

So after all that sanding it is now time wet sanded using 1200 1500 2000 3000. Then carefully buffed with the wool pad and 3m green top compound. I've left the polishing here and will final polish after rebuild.

Some may say… Is he is still sanding! And yes he is…..

More Paint

More Sanding

The doors have been painted I’m wet sanding them this week just the rear doors to go.
Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Alec

#29 Post by Alec » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:36 pm

Hello Ross\Paul,

I presume you are aware of the size limitations on this site of pictures you want to upload?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#30 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi Alec I think I was trying to upload to much in one go and the site couldn't find the pictures on my google drive or vice versa. I've come back on it tonight and it seems to have worked fingers crossed. When I upload the pictures on my PC they display every time however sometimes looking on my iPad the images are a bit hit or miss, not sure what causes this. Nearly finished this project so I’m not going to worry about it to much. All the best.