Mk1 Pi engine rebuild

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
M5driver
Groupie
Groupie
Re: Mk1 Pi engine rebuild

#21 Post by M5driver » Sat May 25, 2019 9:47 am

No John, use the Golf can't beat 61 to 68 mpg. The current pi engine is ok but uses oil and the pressure gets very low when hot.

The block is black. I did buy another colour but did not like it. Should have gone for dayglow yellow.

Anyhow the crank is back in with new vandevell shells. The thrust washers have been done one std one oversize and the rear crank seal is back on. The pistons have rings on with the gaps all checked. New oil pump checked for tollerance you never know it could be wrong. Next to go on is a new front sealing block from jigsaw racing. It needs a little fettling to fit. No-one seems to make things properly these days or check them for correct fit.
Pictures to follow.
Chris Lennard Mem 1906
Triumph 2.5pi MK1 1969 Damson, tan interior
TRiumph 2.5pi MKII 1972 Mallard, black interior
BMW E34 M5 LE 47/50 Orinoco Green
VW Golf mk6 Bluemotion Black

M5driver
Groupie
Groupie

#22 Post by M5driver » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Well folks only 3 weeks to the national and progress has been made.

The crank is in and endfloat set. The rear oil seal housing is in. The front bridge piece is in, those wooden wedges are a pain they broke up when being tapped in. I made more of my own. It took ages to find all the little pieces of wood!
Five of the new pistons are in with new rod bolts from ARP.
The camshaft is in and the front engine plate is on.

Now for the painful bit I broke a piston ring when placing it in the compressor. Don't know how it happened but it did. So a whole new set on order just for one compression ring.
Its a bit of a setback but I'm learning as I go.

The oil pump is in and a new relief valve fitted, with the sump temporarily fitted to keep the dust out.
P1030315.JPG
The attachment P1030317.JPG is no longer available
The attachment P1030316.JPG is no longer available
The attachment P1030315.JPG is no longer available
Chris Lennard Mem 1906

M5driver
Groupie
Groupie

#23 Post by M5driver » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi Everyone who has been following this. Not posted for ages but little things have been going on like cleaning the distributor and the metering unit drive gear housing plus painting. the drive gear itself needed re pinning the major gear was loos on the shaft. There is also an interlude going on. The MK2 has been taking up my time. See a separate post.
Chris Lennard Mem 1906

M5driver
Groupie
Groupie

#24 Post by M5driver » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:49 am

Gosh its been over a year since an update. Well I have been busy. Not just on the car. We had troubles with the house which took a lot of time and finances. Then covid comes along and having to isolate twice.
Moving on the engine and gearbox are back in the car. Other jobs done track control arms rebuilt with new ball joints and superflex bushes. I did not take a picture but the original bushes had worn concentrically causing excess negative camber.
The clutch master cylinder rebuilt, these are becoming hard to come by new. Maybe there is a close equivalent off the shelf. The clutch took several attempts to bleed. Some repainting to the engine bay which got damaged by a leak of brake fluid so is in the process of being done again. Also a new rad that does not fit! Gone back to supplier to correct.
I found the brake servo was not holding vacuum, the culprit was the rubber seal gently hissing. There is a part number for this BAU1019. Listed as an MG part but its pretty generic across the Lockheed range. I will add a picture when I can. Work gets in the way all the time and other hobbies.
Chris Lennard Mem 1906