Clutch advise please

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Joe Wright
Clutch advise please

#1 Post by Joe Wright » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:01 am

Hello all,
The other day my clutch pedal went soft and I couldn't change gear, few pumps of the pedal it started working again and the pedal had pressure and I could change gear. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking along the lines of the clutch or master cylinder.
Unfortunately my clutch release bearing is noisy too so at some stage I'll have to sort that out too.
Thanks in advance.
All the best
Joe

Clifford Pope

Re: Clutch advise please

#2 Post by Clifford Pope » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:54 pm

Assuming there is no actual visible leakage of fluid then it sounds like an internal leakage in the master cylinder piston seal.
I've had the same thing in the brake master cylinder of another car - weak spongy brakes, but if one gives the pedal a quick double pump it works normally. I got so used to giving the little dither on the pedal I almost forgot that it was a fault to fix, and for a long time got used to doing it even after I'd replaced the seal.

Phil T

#3 Post by Phil T » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:53 pm

It could also be the slave cylinder with fluid passing the seals but held in by the dustseal.

This seems to be a regular part to replace......

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:50 pm

The slave cylinders are relatively cheap & available, the master cylinders a bit more elusive & expensive, but repair seal kits and springs can be sourced, see Chris Witors site. Some owners have fitted Land Rover 90 or 110 master cylinders with slight modification to the hole in the bulkhead and fitting a fork end to the pushrod.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

johnnydog

#5 Post by johnnydog » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:11 pm

It sounds like a hydraulic issue, and assuming the fluid level is still ok in the master cylinder, I would do the easiest things first -
Slide the rubber boot on the slave cylinder back and see if there is visible brake fluid behind it. If there is, then the seals want changing, but check for scoring or pitting of the bore, in which case it will need replacing. Whilst there, make sure the correct cylinder is fitted for the age of car ( ie 7/8", rather than 1"), and a previous owner hasn't packed it out from the mounting bracket with washers to alter the 'throw'.
I'd check the clutch actuating rod is in the middle hole in the clutch operating lever - if not, simply move it to the middle hole.
If the above are ok, you will have to remove the clutch master cylinder. Remove the clevis pin from the clutch pedal, before unbolting it from the bulkhead, which will involve some grovelling in the footwell.
Even if the bores are good on both, I would still replace the seals as a matter of course.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, and therefore absorbs water over time, which can lead to internal corrosion or in the worse case scenario, seized pistons. It's good to regularly change the fluid to prevent this.
Be mindful that if replacing the clutch master cylinder, the Mk1 had two types - earlier models had the inbuilt reservoir, whilst very late models had the same set up as the Mk2 with the separate reservoir on top because of the bigger servo. The good thing is that the earlier master cylinders are a lot cheaper!

P.S. :oops: you may note I have greatly amended my original post :roll: :!: - I must have suffered from some brain fog, and started prattling on about the brake master cylinder instead of the clutch master cylinder.... :roll: :roll:
Last edited by johnnydog on Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Joe Wright

#6 Post by Joe Wright » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:33 pm

Thank you ever so much everyone. There is fluid on my garage floor that I presumed was oil but maybe it has something to do with this. I will have a look at it when I get a chance and see what is going on.
I will let you know the outcome. Thanks again.
All the best
Joe

Clifford Pope

#7 Post by Clifford Pope » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:11 am

johnnydog wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:11 pm

hydroscopic,
hygroscopic :)

Hydroscopic means it's relating to a device for viewing underwater.

johnnydog

#8 Post by johnnydog » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:32 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:11 am
johnnydog wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:11 pm

hydroscopic,
hygroscopic :)

Hydroscopic means it's relating to a device for viewing underwater.

I should say it was a 'typo', but you probably wouldn't believe me... :wink:
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Joe Wright

#9 Post by Joe Wright » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:39 pm

I managed to have a quick look at the car today. Topped up the fluid and tried to insure the rod going into the slave was straight. It seemed okay to me. I pulled back the rubber sleeve on the slave and there was a bit of fluid about.
Interestingly enough going through the history the slave and master cylinder were replaced with the correct items in May last year. The car has done hardly any miles since then so unlikely they are at fault I guess.
I will see how it goes. Unfortunately the clutch release bearing is on its way out, noisy in neutral with clutch disengaged,so the whole lot needs looking at really, I will have to take it to a garage for that. Fingers crossed topping up the fluid and straightening the rod will suffice for the time being. Ill let you know.
All the best
Joe

Joe Wright

#10 Post by Joe Wright » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:43 pm

I did forget to check the clutch rod was in the middle hole which is annoying, tricky without a ramp, ill look at that next.