Drive Shaft Grease

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Joe
Groupie
Groupie
Drive Shaft Grease

#1 Post by Joe » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:48 am

Hi,
Recently had Diff Reco'd, but still get knocking in rear end(not mine the car's) under certain conditions and think it may be the shaft's binding. Was going to grease them and, what would be the best type of grease to use? While they are off was wondering how much wear/free play is OK in the sliding joint.
Thanks Joe

wild bill

Re: Drive Shaft Grease

#2 Post by wild bill » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:24 am

I use constant velocity joint grease,as in the old Mini C.V. joints.Messy but effective.
Bill Young
1967 MK1 2000 MSS8E
1971 minivan IUI1588
1981 minivan TDS40W Now PMY453W
1962Greeves Sports Tourer 24DC 114 GGD
1998 Honda CB750, Deep Candy Apple Red.13500 Miles R191DVR
2020 Renault Trafic crew van 12 Miles 02-11-2020 TDS40W

johnnydog

#3 Post by johnnydog » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:16 pm

I agree with Bill - I also use CV joint grease on the sliding splines. There shouldn't be any free rotational play in the splines. If you feel rotational play, check the UJ's first for wear. Make sure you clean out the remaining traces of the existing grease before assembly. You might get an air pocket when you slide the male spline into the female end, but move it back and forth a little and it should disperse. You probably know already, but don't be tempted to use the 6 hub flange nyloc nuts to pull the driveshaft hub unit home, as you could well strip the threads in the swinging arm. Make sure the hub is fully seated on the brake back plate before nipping the nylocs up, but they only need to be 'nipped' up - literally two fingers and your thumb on a 1/4 drive ratchet is sufficient!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Joe
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by Joe » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:27 am

Thanks,
That should get me going in the right direction, need to go and get some CV grease, was thinking Castrol LMM.
Joe

johnnydog

#5 Post by johnnydog » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:24 am

Haven't used Castrol LMM grease myself, but that should do the trick! Any grease recommended for CV joint and sliding spline applications would be my choice.

Direct from the Castrol website.....
Product Data Sheet -
Spheerol™ LMM
Bearing grease
Description -
Castrol Spheerol™ LMM is a multi-purpose lithium grease containing molybdenum disulphide solid lubricant to enhance its load carrying properties under conditions of high or shock loading or to prevent scuffing or fretting. It contains oxidation and corrosion inhibitors, anti-wear additives, has good mechanical stability and can be used in the presence of moisture.
Application -
Spheerol LMM grease is suitable for most types of bearing and a wide range of other industrial applications, which require a molybdenum disulphide grease, including grease lubricated gears. Spheerol LMM may be used in plain and rolling element bearings, including heavily loaded bearings at low and medium speeds, and those subject to shock loading and excessive vibrations. The incorporation of solid lubricant in Spheerol LMM greases makes this grease particularly suited for the lubrication of reciprocating and sliding motion elements, where the prevention of scuffing and fretting is desirable. Typical applications include pivot pins, cams, screws, splined shafts, slides, flexible joints (ball, universal, CV joints etc). It is also useful for the lubrication of chains, swivels and shackles to prevent scuffing.
Advantages -
Good load carrying capacity – protects equipment against extreme loading and helps prevents damage caused by shock loading and excessive vibration
Resistance to scuffing and fretting – provides protection against fretting that can occur on splined shafts, pivot pins and other parts subject to reciprocating and sliding motion
Good water resistance – the grease film remains on the surface even in the presence of water
Resistant to copper and steel corrosion – helps prevent rust and oxidation on metal surfaces
High mechanical stability – the grease keeps its consistency in service ensuring long term protection
Good adhesion – continuous lubrication and reduced consumption as film stays between lubricated surfaces

There you have it :D
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red