gearbox noise

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Triumphpaul
gearbox noise

#1 Post by Triumphpaul » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:39 pm

hi had the engine out recently , as needed to do thrust washers and bearing shells knowing I had a clutch problem so thought the easiest way out was to remove engine, found clutch pressure plate worn, wrong bearing fitted, all went well until I went to refit the engine, hell of a struggle to re-mate gearbox, got there in the end, now the problem I have, noise from gearbox on idle, no whine or nasty noises when driving, slight judder in first and reverse and judder slightly when changing down to second only to turn a corner etc, the noise sounds like lay shaft bearing, goes when you dip the clutch, sure it wasn't there before, only thing I forgot to do like a fool was to check and change the spigot bearing bush, could this be causing the problem, could I of damaged it, and could it cause these symptoms , just to add to be on the safe side I replaced the engine mounts, gearbox cross member bushes and mount, this did improve the judder a bit , any ideas please its a triumph 2000 1973 overdrive paul

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: gearbox noise

#2 Post by Mike Stevens » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in activating your account. I'm glad to see it worked OK and a post from you!

In my experience, if you have a steady dry noise when the clutch is out, that is possibly the main input shaft bearing or could also be layshaft bearings. The layshaft thrust bearings are phospher bronze (unless you have a Stag or police-spec 'box) and they only make a heavy whine if the box is worked hard or low on oil. A badly worn spigot bearing has more of a rattle than a whine. The judder sounds more like clutch judder which may get better as the clutch wears in.

These gearboxes are easy to work on so can easily be rebuilt at home - I have done a few in the past.

Sorry - I'm not being very helpful!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Triumphpaul

#3 Post by Triumphpaul » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:35 pm

thank you for the reply mike think I will see if the clutch gets better with time, the gearbox noise is only their when in neutral so can live with that for now was a bit worried I might have damaged the lay shaft when fitting the engine back.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Mike Stevens » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi Paul,

My first guess would be the input shaft bearing. They can go on for ages in that state. My PI is like that. With the drivers door open, it's quite audible.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Triumphpaul

#5 Post by Triumphpaul » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:33 pm

yep your right just had a mate who knows the triumphs well say the same thing .