J type overdrive removal

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
tony
J type overdrive removal

#1 Post by tony » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 am

I'm trying to remove the o/d unit from the gearbox to fix some oil leaks. I've had it off previously with no real trouble but not this time. I've undone the bolts from the flange that secures the o/d to the gearbox but can only slide it back about 3/8 " and then it stops. I'm trying not to have to remove gearbox.
Any thoughts please?
Thanks
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Clifford Pope

Re: J type overdrive removal

#2 Post by Clifford Pope » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm

Isn't it something to do with running the car in the right gear before final shut-down? Reverse?
I've no idea what you do if you didn't.

Clifford Pope

#3 Post by Clifford Pope » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Here we are:
"If you are going to remove the overdrive, it is highly recommended to drive the car and shift it into overdrive and then, with the clutch pedal depressed, disengage the overdrive. This will relieve any torque that remains, and should allow the unit to slide off the transmission output shaft easily. You can also remove the driveshaft, and accomplish the same thing. I have seen a few cases where the overdrive unit was all but impossible to remove from the transmission because of internal pressures that couldn't be released. This is much worse if the whole transmission is out of the car. It can still be a struggle to remove, in the car, if this detail is omitted"

Another article somewhere says you can rig up temporary grease nipple to some point and pressurise the unit with a grease gun.

tony

#4 Post by tony » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 am

Thanks Clifford,
So I'll have to put all the bolts back in as well as the oil. :shock: Just realised the last time I took the o/d off with no problems, it wasn't working because of broken O rings so of course the O/d wasn't engaged. Again thanks, I let you know the result.
Tony.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.

tony

#5 Post by tony » Tue May 12, 2020 4:02 am

Clifford,
A belated thank you for the advice. Finally after lockdowns and others delays I finally got back into it today. Bolted everything back together, filled it with oil, hooked up the electrics, put the switch into direct drive, undid the bolts again, dropped the oil and the o/d came off with no problems.Lesson learnt. Thanks again.
Tony.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.