diff nose hights

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Rally D
Re: diff nose hights

#21 Post by Rally D » Tue May 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Charles H wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 am
Very interesting. I look forward to hearing the outcome of this.
Ok so as reported Vibration Free narrowed down a vibration spike in the vicinity of the bell housing and backplate. I was a little dubious but last weekend I removed the box for some synchro repairs etc and cleaned up the backplate where the bell housing joins and I also found a very tight fitting 3/8 bolt (with the shoulder). Checked all was straight and cleaned and offered the box back in (original clutch not touched as all looked good).

I loosely placed a top of bell housing nut and then one other nut and bolt so it didn't fall back out (this all might seem like a faffing as I never bother usually) On the nearside of the bell housing the 3/8 bolt was tapped in and it was a good interference fit. All other fastening where then put in and gradually tightened up in an order I felt would ensure it went in straight guided by the 3/8 bolt.

It has definitely made a big difference as now the vibration has been reduced by at least 80% of its previous severity. It feels pleasant to drive at motorway speeds... and beyond (on a private airfield)

I'm really surprised by the result and hope this helps if anyone else has tried everything else and failed.

bigestate

#22 Post by bigestate » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:00 am

Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your visit to Vibration Free and that you are relatively vibration free :)
I still have been unsuccessful with my vibration on the estate and it has now got so bad my Wife refuses to ride in the thing. The estate has been parked up unused since August last year.
I had to resurrect it as I had no car too use and I had forgotten just how bad the vibration is.
Apart from going to Vibration Free there is nothing left to change on the estate.
What I can not make out is that if you are driving along above 40mph or any speed above 40 there is the vibration, now if you take the load off the throttle ever so lightly the vibration completely disappears and that will be at any speed above 40 :?
Driving down hill with my vibes keeping me alert I can take it out of gear and coast and it's pretty much lost most of the vibes, rev the engine and no vibes, drop it back in gear again and drive, super vibes are back! :roll:

Clifford Pope

#23 Post by Clifford Pope » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:18 pm

This is probably not relevant, but your description does strongly resemble the problem I once had with a Volvo vibration in the drive train.
It would come on at a particular speed, but if I declutched or eased off briefly and then re-engaged it would usually go away. If it didn't, a second go would work. This held until I next had to ease off, but then on re-engaging it would often re-appear.

It felt just as if something would randomly adopt one of two positions when taking up power, but could with luck be shifted into the other, vibration free, position by this procedure.
I eventually pinned it down to a very slightly worn u/j. Not an actual joint bearing, but the spider end float in one direction. It was free but with no play on an ordinary waggle check, but slightly stiff with a thou or two end movement on closer checking.
I concluded that centrifugal spin shifted the position at certain speeds, but once in the good position would stay there until inadvertantly reset by easing the power off.

I cured it by removing the two circlips and tapping the spider backwards and forwards a bit to ease it, and then replacing with a thin circle of copper foil behind one of the circlips. By luck I chanced on the right one first shot. I think sometimes there are small very thin plastic discs behind each cap, which are either lost, accidentally doubled at one end when re-assembling, or become jammed when re-assembled.

bigestate

#24 Post by bigestate » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:59 am

Many thanks Clifford for this. Yes it could be one of the joints, because it doesn't take much play in them to cause vibrations .
I did change all the axle UJ's at the same time but that's not to say that one might be tighter than the rest or notchy.
I have the gearbox to refit soon and will remove and check all the inner UJ's as well as the outers.
It has to be something easy and simple to fix, not too mention cheap :mrgreen:

bigestate

#25 Post by bigestate » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:28 pm

So after many years of vibration and changing every part that could contribute to the vibes and some being changed more than once, I never gave the wheel rims a thought.
I run Weller rims and have done for a long time, these rims were off another 2500 which I bought and were running true as this was checked on tyre change and a few times after too to try and over come the vibration.
I had noticed that the vibrations would come in at different speeds at times especially after putting the wheels back on. While I had the wheel off fine tuning the rear brake shoes adjustment I looked at the inner face of the rim and discovered this does not sit flush with the hub. There would be a gap of about a millimetre or 2 where the stud holes are and the hub, so every time the wheel was refitted the wheel never sat squarely against the hubs albeit causing a wobble effect when driving but unseen just by spinning the wheel on the car. Actually it wasn't noticeable even up on axle stands with the car in gear and running with the wheels turning. With each wheel nut being tightened it was making the wheel not sit flush with was causing this undetectable vibration, so I am very happy to report that after buying a set of Stag rims and tyres off our Shows Organiser I am now totally vibe free!! 8)