Cigar lighter - reconditioning

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
iani
Cigar lighter - reconditioning

#1 Post by iani » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:24 pm

The lighter in my PI wasn't working, I need to have a charging point so I fitted an aftermarket replacement lighter. Today I was looking at the original and noticed how well constructed it was, disassembled it and took a wire brush to all the corroded areas, reassembled and it works, the lighter element has largely burnt away but as a charger it works fine, now to remove the radio again and put the original lighter back in.
1966 2000 Mk1 Estate - Cherry Red (2.5 PI conversion)
1968 Mk1 GT6 - Wedgewood, 2.5l Triple DCOEs
1973 2.5 PI Saloon - Honeysuckle

valencia

Re: Cigar lighter - reconditioning

#2 Post by valencia » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:31 pm

Hi, just goes to show it's always worth looking at the condition of the old stuff before condemning it. The cigar lighter in my car never worked since I bought it in 1981, not being a smoker I wasn't bothered but years later when mobile phone chargers became commom I thought I'd better have a look at it, I was surprised to find the live cable to the lighter was disconnected and taped up. Why a previous owner would do that I don't know but it was great to have a working power outlet.
Michael

Firewatcher
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Cigar lighter - reconditioning

#3 Post by Firewatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:11 pm

Must be the season for it - I have just put mine back into operation after about a year without it. I am a smoker so did miss it. Inside of the old one was very burned/rusty but luckily found a good one stashed away in the garage. Mine has the original metal rings each side for mounting, but I see the later ones omitted the inner ring and changed the outer ring to orange lens type ring. I guess it allows the backlight to show through when lights are on and the lighter element is in the socket.
Pete