Change Sealed Beam MK1 2000 Headlights

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
KenF
Change Sealed Beam MK1 2000 Headlights

#1 Post by KenF » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:56 am

Hello, I acquired a MK1 2000 auto saloon at Christmas 2021. I hope someone can please help me regarding headlamp upgrades. I think I posted this earlier in the "wrong" section. As the headlights are still sealed beam, I decided to upgrade to 2 pairs of 5 3/4 inch units for bulbs with pilot lights which I'll use for LED running lights.
I think I've probably bought LHD reflectors ( even though they're marked UK), as they are not vertical in the outer units. I know Crystal lights are good but they seem to be out of stock on the UK just now. I haven't started on the inner pair yet, but have bought new bowls from Paddock's. I think I'll have to use them on the outers too, so I can line up the new reflectors properly. Unlike Stags (and probably MK2 2000s), the headlamp fittings seem to be riveted in. Is it OK to just drill out the rivets and use self tappers to fit the new ones? Sorry. I have looked through previous posts but can't see if anyone else has asked the same question. I also realise that I might use LED headlight bulbs at some time in the future, as the cars are obviously pre 1983. I will also use relays for the dipped beams. Thanks. Ken.

Rod 2500S
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Change Sealed Beam MK1 2000 Headlights

#2 Post by Rod 2500S » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 am

HI Ken don't know why no one has replied to your post, however fwiw, you might put self tapper clips (AKA speed fasteners) behind the panel for insurance.
Also you might upgrade the headlight wiring (you're fittting a relay on the low beam?) My mark 2 has the loom run down the driver's side of the car and of course the battery is on the left?? on a mk1, so you have to run a heavy feed from the battery across the front of the radiator to your relays best mounted as near as possible to the headlights. The pics show my relays, Hi beam, Lo beam, engine fan with circuit breakers for each feed from the battery, one headlights and the other for the fans. These are switched from the wires in the loom which I cut and fitted to the relays, the wires from the switch trigger the relays.
Use 40amp circuit breakers, and fused relays for insurance.

HTH
Rod
Attachments
headlight relays and wires2.JPG
headlight relays and wires1.JPG

KenF

#3 Post by KenF » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:39 am

Hello Rod

Thanks for your informative reply. I expect MK2 headlights / bowls are just "scewed" into the bodywork. Mk1s are riveted.

I was going to just put twin filament units in the inner lights too to give 4 main and dipped lights. I also "like" to use the pilot bulbs to have LEDs and use them as running lights.

I've sort of given up on that but will probably just do the outers for now, which is more straightforward.

You recommend to change the dipped beams to relays - can I use one relay for both? You also suggest using circuit breakers. I must admit I haven't seen these used in cars and was going to just put in fuses. Yes, I'll do as you suggest and mount them just behind the headlight units in the offside front wing. I'll maybe change the inner lights sometime when I'm feeling a bit more brave!

Thank you for your advice and interest.

Ken

Clifford Pope

#4 Post by Clifford Pope » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:59 pm

KenF wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:56 am

I think I've probably bought LHD reflectors ( even though they're marked UK),
When I replaced the headlights in a LandRover of similar age I came across a ridiculous confusion in nomenclature. Some people in the parts dept read LHD as meaning "Left Hand Drive, whereas others swore that LHD meant "Left Hand Dip", ie suitable for right hand drive cars.
Another confusion was whether Right Hand Drive meant you drive on the right or the steering wheel was on the right.

Some headlights don't have a left or right - they just dip down, but others leave a section (on UK left) undipped and angled slightly left so as to illuminate the left hand verge without dazzling drivers approaching from the right.

I was persuaded that LHD was correct for the UK, but I've never been sure.