Alternator connections

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
mikeo632
Alternator connections

#1 Post by mikeo632 » Fri May 28, 2021 8:16 pm

Hi all.
Just carried out a routine service, but think I might have been a little clumsy!
Started the car up post service, no reading from the temp gauge. Also, volt meter seems sluggish to get above 13 amps.
Looked around the alternator & have found a blue wire hanging free. This originates from the alternator central pin on the wiring plug into the alternator, & is permanently live, so fun when it hits the block!
Can't find any obvious place that this wire has been pulled from, have consulted the wiring diagrams in the books, & apparently this wire does not exist! I have the 2 x brown & 1 x brown/yellow wire as shown in the diagrams, but I have this additional blue wire??
The actual connection to the alternator block looks professional, don't think it is a later addition.
Can't see anywhere obvious that this wire has broken off from, the wire from the temp sender near the thermostat is securely in place, so am scratching my head here!
anyone got any ideas??

Phil T

Re: Alternator connections

#2 Post by Phil T » Sat May 29, 2021 11:22 am

It is not a wire for a suppressor, with the suppressor cut off, is it?

mikeo632

Re: Alternator connections

#3 Post by mikeo632 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:13 pm

Good point! Could be.
Investigated further today, looked at a loom on a 2500S & the wire doesn't exist.
Looked everywhere that the wire might connect to, no joy.
Started her this morning, temperature gauge working fine, & the voltmeter works its way up to normal levels if you give it time!
Only thing I can think of is that:

A: The wire was always there, just unnoticed!
B: I had drained some coolant to see how much antifreeze was present, maybe I created an airlock at the point of the temp sensor?
C: The volt meter was always slow to rise, & I was seeing problems where none existed!

Love it when a plan comes together.