Distributor advice? Powerspark or NOS.

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Distributor advice? Powerspark or NOS.

#11 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:40 am

All the distributor specs are also in the original Triumph manual.

In addition to the vacuum advance/retard amount being on the 'trumpet', the amount of mechanical advance is stamped onto the advance arm which can be found under the points mounting plate.

I have a feeling that the figure is distributor advance, not crank advance, there being a factor of 2 difference. John will correct me if that's not right!

I've had electronic ignition in my Triumphs for many years as well as standard points. Both function well, but my PI does run a bit smoother with the electronic system. As it's using points, it's easy to just flick a switch to swap over, thus giving an instant check!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Alec

#12 Post by Alec » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Hello Mike,

i've never heard of both points and electronic being fitted together, very handy if the electronics die as they used to?

Yes, distributor degrees are half engine degrees.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Phil T

#13 Post by Phil T » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:12 pm

I read Mike's post to say that he has had some cars with electronic ignition and some with points, but not both together.

Having said that there were after market electronic systems that retained the points as a switch, thereby prolonging the points life as there was only a tiny current running through them.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Alec is right, the one I have on the PI does use the points and the electronic box has a 3-way switch on it (Electronic - Off - Standard), so it is easy to switch between the standard and electronic systems. My choice would be for a non-points type, but I have it and it works, so...

The Stag has a Luminition system which was on the car when I bought it in 1988. That has a photo-coupler and a castellated (?) disc to switch it. The electronic box is separate and sits on a custom made bracket under the wiper motor mount.

Some current is needed through any switch, points included, just to keep the contacts clean. However, I'm sure Phil is right in saying that the reduced current with an electronic system should reduce points wear.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)