Mk1 Hazard warning wiring

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
johnconradlee
Mk1 Hazard warning wiring

#1 Post by johnconradlee » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:34 pm

I've been giving this some thought about hazard warning lights and the cheapest and easiest way to do this. I've not needed hazard warning lights often, but being sat at the side of the A30 in the fog at 1 O'clock in the morning many years ago with only my sidelights as illumination was a bit scary.
Due to the slightly odd way the warning lights and repeaters are wired on a Mk1 it's not completely straightforward so I've been putting off thinking about it. As it's a bit cold in the garage I've started trying to sketch out my thoughts in paint trying to find the best solution. Comments welcome.
Original wiring as the starting point:
Existing.jpg
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

johnconradlee

Re: Mk1 Hazard warning wiring

#2 Post by johnconradlee » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:35 pm

The simplest way i could think of doing it was with a modern flasher relay and a 2 pole switch to bypass the column switch and link both sides together. The problem is that you would need the key in the ignition to make the hazards work, or move the power to the relay across one fuse so the indicators would work with the ignition off. All the cars I've come across have had indicators that were switched via the ignition, so I'm sure there must be a reason(?)
Mods 1.jpg
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

johnconradlee

#3 Post by johnconradlee » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:35 pm

The thought did occur to me I could use the facelift Mk2 hazard switch and two flasher relays and wire it in a similar manner to a Mk2. Unfortunately I don't have a spare Mk2 switch and both flasher relays and Mk2 hazard switches seem to be oddly expensive these days. Standard on/off and changeover relays are cheap as chips so this is my attempt to do everything the facelift MK2 switch setup does with only one flasher relay, a single pole switch, a separate hazard warning light and four 5 pin relays (albeit three of them could be 4 pin):
Mods 2.jpg
John Lee

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:11 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-CLASSIC- ... SwGotWlSNf
Mount under dash, just connect wiring colour like for like, job done.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

wild bill

#5 Post by wild bill » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:53 pm

John ,
Just a point of information, if you are using automotive type 4 or 5 pin relays, Point 1....be aware that some 5 pin units are NOT N/O and N/C but in fact are N/o and N/O. just a linked internal terminal, rather like using a piggy back spade..Point 2....it would be worth your while to put your 12v +ve switched supply on to terminal 86 on the relay as opposed to term 85. This is due to most auto relays now having diode protection across the coil internally.If you put +ve on to term 85 you will blow your control fuse and also the relay protection diode.If you're lucky, you will blow the diode open circuit, and be able to use the relay.If unlucky,and the diode goes short circuit, you then need to open the relay and cut out the diode or bin the relay.
I just don't want you to waste your time looking for a short somewhere when it really isn't, it's just a relay issue.
Looks good, keep in touch...
Bill Young
1967 MK1 2000 MSS8E
1971 minivan IUI1588
1981 minivan TDS40W Now PMY453W
1962Greeves Sports Tourer 24DC 114 GGD
1998 Honda CB750, Deep Candy Apple Red.13500 Miles R191DVR
2020 Renault Trafic crew van 12 Miles 02-11-2020 TDS40W