Dolly Spint Auto /Practical Classics rebuild '95

Chat about anything you wish here but keep it clean
Forkie
Dolly Spint Auto /Practical Classics rebuild '95

#1 Post by Forkie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Ok so I am back from the dead AGAIN and this is a non 2000 topic hence being posted here - I am renowned for posting loooooonnngggg posts so will try to condense....

Younger brother in law 2 weeks ago has bought WON 990T. On a whim. Has no knowledge of cars,let alone a Triumph.In my opinion he paid waaaay over the odds. But that's classics today.

Since he had it delivered he has kind of lost interest quite quickly -he thought it was going to be better than it actually was. Ring a bell anyone ? .....

It was purchased through a third party as 'a non runner due to overheating issues'.

i am determined to get this thing running.

What i know - It has been off the road at least 4 years. The rad and various other bits are in the boot. we have since had the rad tested and is fine,even though it looks way past its best.

There are LOADS of issues with this car but the one for me first off is the auto box oil level - my '75 ' S estate carries a BW 35. According to relevant sources the Dolly takes a '65.

My 2.5S has like a springy wire type of dipstick to the box.

The dolly has a solid ,engine type dipstick.

It has a COLD mark and a HOT mark.

Hasnt been run properly in years.

Engine oil level WAY above maximum (1 inch above max,like new/clean.

Auto box level - on the dollly there is a ''cold' and a 'hot' level.
The oil level in this box is like 8 inches above the hot mark, let alone the cold mark.

Whats going on here ?
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

Tinsmith_Skippy

Re: Dolly Spint Auto /Practical Classics rebuild '95

#2 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:28 am

I was watching this car. Really tempting as it was a cracking colour! It’s half a stag engine suffers with head gasket and warping problems which then causes over heating. Probably had milky oil and had the dealers treatment, it’s had a service and oil change etc. Ross

Alec

#3 Post by Alec » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:19 am

Hello Forkie,

there's little point speculating on what is history. I would drain and refill with the correct quantities of oil. Refit the radiator and recomission. From that you will start to see what else you may have to do?

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

Tinsmith_Skippy

#4 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:07 pm

I guess putting it back together will see how it was running you have eliminated the radiator from the checklist. Problems aside from the pictures on the seller site the car looks awesome In the aqua green as mentioned before.
Last edited by Tinsmith_Skippy on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forkie

#5 Post by Forkie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Yes funny enough I to had in the watch list,only because of the colour - I have never ever seen it. Wasn't aware then of the P.C. rebuild (I was youngish in mid nineties - wasn't interested in old motors then!) - He found some letters amongst the paperwork that came with it ….So that pricked my ears up so ive been and sourced the whole resto set of magazines - got to be done :)

The car is not too bad to be fair - he just thought it would be mint :roll: The colour though is stunning. Just so suits the Sprint. Not sure if it would suit a 2000/2500.....The worst body issue is the offside rear door ,plug plug, if anyone can help...it is quite bad compared to the rest of the car.

Yes Alec that is basically what I have suggested - both engine and box oil colour is pristine but well over full - the box oil notably ! I just could not get my head around why anyone would put in 3 X the amount of gearbox oil as is needed - not ever owning a Dolly OR anything with a B.W. 65, AND fitted with some kind of toilet brush type oil cooler that is sending dandruff all over the engine , I wondered as it has not run properly for so long does everything drain back and almost fill the tube :lol:

So what I suggested was drop all the engine oil ( who knows the grade,just because it is clean) - box oil colour is correct so just drain out 50 gallons , refit rad , refill and fire her up on the new battery that I bought him !!!! And just see what happens.... As a p.s. he found a receipt from one of our suppliers for all coolant related parts from 2014, including the expensive 12 vane impeller , which oddly enough, is in the boot ….Ive told him he needs to join the Dolly club - This is the 2000 Register - I might get told off :o
Member Number 7392 04/07

Tinsmith_Skippy

#6 Post by Tinsmith_Skippy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Oddly enough also on eBay this week it seems to be a rare colour dolly fest. There was a honeysuckle sprint, I haven’t seen one of these before either. Would love a dolly sprint but I have enough on my plate, very jealous of your buy indeed!
Let us know how your getting on.

Forkie

#7 Post by Forkie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Not my buy, brother in law !!! Told him he needs to join a Dolly forum but yes no prob letting this forum know how it goes if I don't get in trouble !!!!
Member Number 7392 04/07

johnnydog

#8 Post by johnnydog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Triumph BW's do tend to have a habit of appearing way too full usually when they have been standing for long periods. After starting and the ATF has circulated, the level returns to normal. I can only assume the ATF drains slowly out of the torque converter whilst inactive. I had this on a Stag I had in particular, I just learnt to live with it as it stood for very long periods.
As an aside, I always find checking the oil level rather frustrating on an auto - doing it whilst it is ticking over always results in oil sticking to the 'wire' dipstick which in turn makes an accurate level check more difficult. I have often added oil thinking it is low only to drain it off again when the dipstick indicates the level is too high. I'm never really convinced the level is correct, but an auto won't change properly if the level is too low...
There is no excuse however for the high engine oil level!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:27 am

Johhnydog has mentioned an important fact that the oil level can be too high if the car has not run for a while. As it appears that the engine has not run for some time, it may be that it hasn't run since the gearbox oil was changed. In that case the 'proper' level could not have been determined so too much might have been put in deliberately.

I'd change the engine oil as that's easy to get the level right and then get it running. You'd then have a much better chance of determining the correct gearbox oil level. If the gearbox oil is nice and red with no brown traces and no burning smell, I certainly would try it with that oil. After all, with the BW gearboxes, we only had the ATF option so it may well be OK. Not including the level that is!

It sounds like an interesting project - not as though you didn't have enough to do anyway!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Forkie

#10 Post by Forkie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi Mike - Yes both oils are pristine but there is no 'log' of actual oil changes recently or otherwise. Regarding the engine oil, it is THAT clean I am suspicious that it has simply been changed to cover up what was in there , as Tinsmith has mentioned.

Regarding the box oil,i had been aware that they drain back after non-usage - but as much as what that dipstick is reading ???? I tried mine as an example as mine hasn't run for a while but it wasn't that much past the correct reading.

So the thing is with that high a reading , would it be best to drain some before starting, or start it first BEFORE draining , in case the converter IS empty ? I just don't wish to cause more issues by making the wrong decision - always harder when it is not your own car! I am wondering what damage to the seals etc might be done if it is genuinely waaayyy overfull.
Member Number 7392 04/07