Wanted Mk11 saloon manual propshaft

Registered users may post ads for parts/spares here. No complete cars unless for breaking. See forum rules.
Forum rules
1. Strictly no trade advertisements - private ads only. 2. No complete cars (unless for breaking) must be advertised on here. Parts and spares only. Complete cars must be advertised via the main website only which is free for Members and £5 for non-members. 3. Maximum 4 pictures for any one ad. 4. Sensitive communication should be by Private Message - placing of personal information anywhere on this forum is done at the individuals risk.
Desmk11
Wanted Mk11 saloon manual propshaft

#1 Post by Desmk11 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:00 pm

I have a manual overdrive mk11 saloon with a terrible vibration which i have caused by changing my propshaft uj's, so i was just wandering if anybody has a known good propshaft ready to fit.

I am going to have mine balanced but that takes approximately a month at the moment :shock:

johnnydog

Re: Wanted Mk11 saloon manual propshaft

#2 Post by johnnydog » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:14 am

Assuming you have assembled the UJ's correctly, there shouldn't really be any reason why it it suddenly is out of balance. Were the UJ's nice and smooth on reassembly? If the circlips are difficult to locate in the grooves in the yoke, sometimes a gentle tap with a leather mallet helps to position them correctly for easier fitting of the circlips. It is also easy for a needle roller to fall out of place, and get lodged in the bottom of the cup. If you are satisfied you have assembled them correctly, and they are smooth, before condeming the propshaft, I would try turning it through 180 degrees (you don't have to take it off, just remove the bolts and turn the diff flange half a turn, try it, if no better, do the same with the gearbox flange). Lastly, where is the sliding joint? The general consensus is that the sliding joint should be at the back of the car (diff end), but one of my manual cars that is very low mileage, and nothing suggests the prop has ever been off, has the sliding joint at the front with no ill effects. Fitting yours the other way round may be also worth a try, before getting a replacement propshaft.
Another cause of a bad transmission vibration, especially around 50mph, is the rubber gearbox mounting having partially collapsed in the cross member. They deteriorate quickly due to oil contamination from a gearbox oil leak. They can look ok, but any excess vertical movement is an indication, but they really need physically checking by removing it.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Desmk11

#3 Post by Desmk11 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:08 am

Hi johnnydog thank you for your very kind response.

This has been an on going problem ever since I decided to change one uj, which then led to changing the other, then buying another prop, then changing those uj's, then changing my gearbox mounting, then trying to change the height because it originally had many washers above the cross member and so on and so forth, not a great experience so far.
I have tried reversing the props and at the moment I do indeed have my original one back on with the sliding joint at the front and the difference is quite hard to understand, it is so much improved but I do still have a vibration.
I am at this point questioning the quality of my uj's as they have no makers identification, I have just purchased a pair of GKN stamped ones which I am hoping will make a difference but let's be honest, I am now clutching at straws.
I will sort this in the end I know but it's a shame it's taking away the refinement of my car, if it ain't broke leave them alone, when will I ever learn.

johnnydog

#4 Post by johnnydog » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:28 pm

I prefer to fit UJs with grease nipples so that they can be lubricated when required. They seem to be the better quality or branded UJ's.
You mention about washers being fitted above the cross member. Due to age of our cars, it is likely that components have been swapped over the years, and from memory, there are some models with no spacer tubes, and some with, but have different lengths of spacer tubes fitted to various models depending on the gearbox type, whether auto / manual, and vehicle age. This has been a topic of previous discussion regarding vibration caused by the severity of the angle of the front propshaft UJ relative to which depth of spacer tube is fitted. A search on ''gearbox spacer tube'' or similar on here may find some useful info.
Register Member no. 1596

Desmk11

#5 Post by Desmk11 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:38 am

All sorted now, thanks to everyone that tried to help and a special Thank you to johnnydog for sharing his knowledge and experience.

johnnydog

#6 Post by johnnydog » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:54 am

Absolutely no problem.
Glad you sorted the problem - what did you find was the cause?
Register Member no. 1596

Desmk11

#7 Post by Desmk11 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:09 am

Finally sorted but i did make it far too complicated, my fault entirely.

After many months of fitting new joints, purchasing three more props, swapping sliding spline ends and realising that not one propshaft out of them was any good, even for balancing.

I always clean and paint everything, that way you can see if there are any issues and there were some that you could push the uj's in with your fingers and some that required very little effort with the vice, unfortunately all had spinning caps in the yokes as well as spline wear so I purchased a brand new, remanufactured, recently made item and my car drives without noise or vibration.

Good to be back with a car that drives as it should, Happy Motoring.