Wanted BW35 or 65 trany & torque converter... shiped to USA

Registered users may post ads for parts/spares here. No complete cars unless for breaking. See forum rules.
Forum rules
1. Strictly no trade advertisements - private ads only. 2. No complete cars (unless for breaking) must be advertised on here. Parts and spares only. Complete cars must be advertised via the main website only which is free for Members and £5 for non-members. 3. Maximum 4 pictures for any one ad. 4. Sensitive communication should be by Private Message - placing of personal information anywhere on this forum is done at the individuals risk.
justin.mercier
Wanted BW35 or 65 trany & torque converter... shiped to USA

#1 Post by justin.mercier » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Good evening everyone. First, thank you to the moderators for enabling my account so that I can post here.

My name is Justin Mercier, and I am a triumph enthusiast living in the state of Rhode Island in the USA. I have a project car that I have been working on for several years, that right now is lacking a transmission as the last piece to get on the road. The car can not currently be driven with the 4 speed standard attached to it, and I have been trying to source either a BW35 or BW65 automatic transmission and torque converter for quite a long time now. I had a fellow out in California who was removing an early 5 position BW35 from their car to convert to a standard who had agreed to sell me theirs, but they recently backed out and decided to keep their car an automatic, leaving me in a lurch as I already removed and sold my standard transmission.

I have the flex plate, spigot bushing, crank-shaft spacer, and other parts to mount the automatic transmission, but... not the transmission unit itself, or a torque converter. At this point I'm reaching out to any groups over seas to see if anyone has a transmission of either type, with torque converter that they would be willing to sell, put on a pallet, and drop off at a shipping location. They only sold between 500 and 800 triumph 2000/2500/2.5pi saloons in the USA, and only a small number of those were automatic models, and after almost a year of looking in the states (albiet with 4 months of that waiting for someone to remove the transmission they had agreed to sell to me, and thus not looking further myself) I really really need to get this car on the road.

In addition to the transmission unit I will also need a fill-tube, dip-stick, and a gear selector for whatever model I end up with. If I find a BW65, I have the gear selector from a TR7 automatic available to me locally, and another fellow with a BW65 triumph stag selector.

Rimmer Bros. website this last week all of a sudden listed both the BW65 and BW35 units as "Available to order, order NOW!" and I called them immediately, but was told on the phone that it was a mistake and they do not actually have any units available, nor do they have the cores to rebuild any. The Chris Witor site lists a BW35 on there, but I have emailed him 3 times in the last month asking that I am interested in buying it, and if he would be able to ship it to the USA, and have received no reply after his initial reply where he told me which spacer and spigot bushing I should be ordering from him to mound my flexplate/ringgear (I bought the spacer and bushing and they arrived just fine) So having exhausted all the suppliers that I know of, I'm looking to owners.

If anyone is able to assist me in my search, I'm getting desperate now to get this car on the road. It's become bad enough that I have a friend in Australia that I told if there was a 2500TC for cheap near him on ebay (they show up a lot down there) I'd buy him the car if he'd pull out the transmission and gear selector for me!)

Thank you all for your time and any assistance that you may be able to provide!

-Justin Mercier
Woonsocket RI, USA.
justinDOTmercierATgmailDOTcom

Davemate
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Wanted BW35 or 65 trany & torque converter... shiped to USA

#2 Post by Davemate » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:29 pm

Not sure if he is on this site or not,I know he goes on the Club triumph forum.
Mike Papworth should be able to help(search his name on google)

Richard B

#3 Post by Richard B » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:47 pm

One option that might be easier for you as you are Stateside, is to find a Triumph Stag auto gearbox.

This will fit onto a 6-pot as my Stag had a 2.5PI engine in it when I bought it with the Stag autobox still attached.
Richard
Compulsive PI'er :) Daughters have Heralds. Son-in-laws have 2.5's

justin.mercier

#4 Post by justin.mercier » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Just a quick update, Mike Papworth said that he should have a BW65 with TC, Bellhousing, and fill tube that I can purchase, thank you all very much for the help here ! Hopefully this has a happy ending =)

RE: The stag auto gearbox. The BW65 was used in stag and TR7 automatics in the states, but the bell-housing and TC are different. That was my first thought too, but then I couldnt track down the bellhousing to swap out for the life of me !

curbo165

#5 Post by curbo165 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi Justin, Im looking to convert my automatic car to manual with over drive soon as i can find a complete over drive gear stick as thats all im missing. So I would have all the part's from the automatic being surplus to me, I think its a BW35, just not sure how to go about sending them over to you?
Andy

2000 Estate 1972 Restoration

justin.mercier

#6 Post by justin.mercier » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Sorry I didnt see your post sooner, as I was traveling for work. Curbo165, I may be interested in buying a complete 'spare' set of in addition to the one which I have purchsed from Mr. Papworth (which is pending shipment along with some other stuff so I wont get for quite some time)

if you'd like my email address is justin.mercier@gmail.com fire me off an email and we can discuss shipping type options and whatnot. The one I'm getting from Mr Papworth is coming over in a large crate along with a bunch of other car parts (saving me on shipping, but I have to wait for the other party importing the crate to the USA to finish his business before it moves)
For just a transmission and other minor parts by itself, a wooden forklift pallet with the transmission srapped to it is usually sufficient to ship one, and it's usually less expensive to ship the other parts separately in small boxes.