Steering Lock Barrel

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
Firewatcher
Groupie
Groupie
Steering Lock Barrel

#1 Post by Firewatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:50 pm

Has anyone removed the Steering Lock Barrel on an early Mk2 2000 - there is a pin of some description keeping the collar in place in the main body of the lock, but doesn't seem to be spring loaded or hexagon socket. It looks more like a tiny roll pin, but at present I can't see how to release it.
Body is Marked CEM D2 48 5 Also marked 5213

Firewatcher
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Steering Lock Barrel

#2 Post by Firewatcher » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:00 am

For anyone considering doing the same job. Indeed it is a tiny roll pin, and I can see why it is not intended to be easy to withdraw as this is not a job for the feint hearted. It is easy enough to drift through into the barrel and with a smart tap on the bench it will fall out through the keyhole. However the barrel is also attached to a centre spindle that extends through the actual locking bolt chamber and engages in a shorter spindle that in turn engages in the rotary starter switch. The barrel can be withdrawn together with the long spindle by removing the small circlip just past the main locking bolt. It is not easy to get at, and necessitates removing the plate below the locking bolt, but certainly can be done.
Having removed the barrel, I find it is the offending part, not he bolt mechanism as I thought, so have decided to operate on the door locks instead to save me having two different keys on the go.
Pete

iani

#3 Post by iani » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:13 am

I wish I only had two keys, I have different door locks & ignition, three keys to manage :)
1966 2000 Mk1 Estate - Cherry Red (2.5 PI conversion)
1968 Mk1 GT6 - Wedgewood, 2.5l Triple DCOEs
1973 2.5 PI Saloon - Honeysuckle

torque2me

#4 Post by torque2me » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:48 pm

Firewatcher wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:00 am
For anyone considering doing the same job. Indeed it is a tiny roll pin, and I can see why it is not intended to be easy to withdraw as this is not a job for the feint hearted. It is easy enough to drift through into the barrel and with a smart tap on the bench it will fall out through the keyhole. However the barrel is also attached to a centre spindle that extends through the actual locking bolt chamber and engages in a shorter spindle that in turn engages in the rotary starter switch. The barrel can be withdrawn together with the long spindle by removing the small circlip just past the main locking bolt. It is not easy to get at, and necessitates removing the plate below the locking bolt, but certainly can be done.
Having removed the barrel, I find it is the offending part, not he bolt mechanism as I thought, so have decided to operate on the door locks instead to save me having two different keys on the go.
Pete
Funny that this topic came up. My ignition key at first would not come out when on the'O' setting. Worked o.k. otherwise but I would have to leave the key in. Not satisfactory.

Then, after filling up with fuel, the decided to jam on the 'O' setting and still not come out. A passing motorist happend to have a flat and phillips screwdriver. I dismantled and took it to a nearby garage (Jaguar) who had never seen such an item. I wish I had this post to show the brave mecanic (sorry, technician). He managed, after a bit of butchery, to release the key.

I don't know what the technical term is for for the inner keyways but I believe they are made of brass. We did put a little lubrication in and the key has blackened gunge on it when withdrawn. A sure sigh of brass degregation.

Kev

johnnydog

#5 Post by johnnydog » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:08 pm

torque2me wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:48 pm
Firewatcher wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:00 am
Pete
I don't know what the technical term is for for the inner keyways but I believe they are made of brass. We did put a little lubrication in and the key has blackened gunge on it when withdrawn. A sure sigh of brass degregation.

Kev
Pins / tumblers??
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red