Rostyle wheel trims

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
johnconradlee
Rostyle wheel trims

#1 Post by johnconradlee » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:39 pm

I've just acquired a set of stag 14" steel wheels which have a reasonable set of Goodyear tyres on so i'm probably going to use them, certainly for a while anyway.
They came with a set of the Stag "rostyle" trims, which are the PI style ones with the black paint. Two of which are pretty good but two have loose or missing fake nut rivets where it looks like someone has tried to undo them......
Annoyingly other than two having the fake nuts loose/missing all the wheel trims are relatively straight and dent free.
I was thinking of maybe using 2 penny washers and a pop rivet to fill the hole but I'm amazed how heavy the fake nuts actually are - I weighed a loose one at 28 grams whereas a standard 2000 steel wheel nut is 40 grams. Even being that close to the middle of the wheel I'd have thought it would throw the wheel balance off.
Anyway, I assume you can't buy the fake wheel nut rivets as a spare part (i certainly can't find them online) so I was wondering if anyone has come up with a reasonable repair or if I should just find more wheel trims?
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

Charles H

Re: Rostyle wheel trims

#2 Post by Charles H » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 pm

I have refixed the alloy nuts by tapping them and bolting them on..... but you need the nuts! I possibly have some if you wish to go down this route.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

johnnydog

#3 Post by johnnydog » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:01 pm

PI and Stag rostyle wheel trims are different in that the Stag trim has an oval valve hole whereas the PI trim has a round hole - the oval hole on the Stag trim is to accommodate the valve on the 14" rim. A PI trim on a 14" Stag rim bends the valve stem over leading to possible premature failure.
I can check if I have any used Stag trims as an alternative to repairing your existing ones.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

johnconradlee

#4 Post by johnconradlee » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:45 pm

I've finally had a go at taping the loose fake nuts and bolting them on.
I'm one nut short, so I've bolted an M12 nylock on as a temporary hole filler. Charles if you happen to have a loose fake nut going spare that would useful. Not required urgently - could probably wait until next years national!
The next task is to stick little bits of stickyback neoprene on the insides where they contact the wheels to stop them rattling as much.
DSC_0419.JPG
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

david_lall

#5 Post by david_lall » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Isn't the rattle all part of the joy of owning a PI :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally I love driving with the windows open, down country lanes during the summer, hearing the wheel trims clanking away - it's just another noise to help drown out the Lucas pump! 😂 (which incidentally I have encased with sound deadning bundles)
David Lall

1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry