PAS assistance level

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
johnnydog
Re: PAS assistance level

#11 Post by johnnydog » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Jake wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm
I didn't know about the hole in the rack to centralise it!
Surprisingly, the official BL workshop manual for the 2000 and 2500 makes no mention of this drilling to aid centralising the rack, yet it is clearly mentioned in the official BL workshop manual for the Stag which uses the same rack... :?:
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

tony

#12 Post by tony » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 am

While you got it apart, have a good look at the sleeve that inner part of the seal runs in. Make sure it's not grooved. I normally put it the lathe and give it a polish with fine wet and dry paper. Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

torque2me

#13 Post by torque2me » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:55 pm

johnnydog wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm
Actually, that is quite common! I have had several PAS Triumphs over the years, and the feel of the steering does vary - as you say some are lighter then others. This also applies to manual steering as well.
Other factors do come into it - i.e. the efficiency of the pump, tyre pressures / tyre size and steering components (if bottom ball joints, track rod ends and upper suspension strut mountings are new, they could arguably be stiffer than worn joints / mountings that may have certain degree of play in them.) Wear in the ball of the track rods themselves would no doubt create a lighter feel too.
And there are two sizes of PAS steering wheels on the 2500's. Mk2 PI's had a larger steering wheel than the S, which could be a factor too.
I was once told by an 'old boy' mechanic that on the Triumph, an indication that the rack seals are getting worn to the point that they can start leaking fluid into the gaitors, is when the 'steering feel' is very light.
How much truth there is in this, I'm not sure, but whenever I have tried a recently reconditioned or rebuilt rack, the feel always seemed heavier than before the overhaul.
I was under the understanding that there was two suppliers (AdWest and another of whom the name escapes me for the moment) of the PAS. Whilst what other posters have stated is relevant even on new(ish) cars with low mileages had the difference. As I say it could just be the different makers.

Kev