power steering problem

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
mike kimmens

power steering problem

#1 Post by mike kimmens » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:53 am

My 1967 MK1 200 has power steering which works fine until after driving it for approx 4 miles the steering gets stiff in the straight ahead position. By this I mean more effect is needed to turn the steering wheel slightly left ot right but it is OK if turning a corner. I've left the car running for half an hour before driving it so that the pas oil was already hot but it was the same. I've drained the oil which was still clean, clear and bright red. Any ideas?
Mike

Alan Chatterton

Re: power steering problem

#2 Post by Alan Chatterton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:06 am

Sounds to me like it the steering column joint seized up.

Look at the steering arm which connects the bottom of the steering column to the top of the rack, you will see it has two U/J's in it....... these can sieze up and makes the steering stiff and notchy.

Try removing the shaft, and freeing them up by spraying with oil and wiggling them. You can get new units, but they are not very good.............. work at yours and it should be fine.

Hope this helps

Alan
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/

mikew

#3 Post by mikew » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Could also be the thrust bearings, sleeve bearings in the strut mounts, I'd disconnect the track rod ends and see if the struts move freely left to right, if not you see which one is stiffer and needs attention, if its not these then its the steering joint, and with the car not on its wheels and track rod ends loose its easy to work the steering backwards and forwards with oil in the steering coupling to free it off

mike
FF Stag V8 Estate White
TR5 Valencia Blue
Stag Red
Jensen Interceptor MK1 Ice Blue

The Blog to be found at http://standardtriumphcars.blogspot.com/

mike kimmens

#4 Post by mike kimmens » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks for the tips, I will check it out and let you know the result. Although I've had the car three years I only recently got it on the road. Bits seizing up sounds feasible as it has only done 1,985 miles in the last seventeen years
Mike

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:10 pm

With PAS, the top column joint should be a rubber one which doesn't/can't seize, but the bottom one isn't rubber and can! If the steering goes stiff every 180 degrees at the steering wheel, then it'll be the joint.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

mike kimmens

#6 Post by mike kimmens » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Problem solved, it was the top uj. Both uj's on the shaft are metal and the shaft can't be removed without removing either the rack or column. I soaked the uj's with diesel using a syringe every day this week, at first rusty oil was coming out of the top one. Steering is now nice and smooth. Thanks for everyones suggestions. Please note my car is a 1967 and I assume somebody fitted the power steering later.
Mike