MK2 clear front lens modification guide (picture heavy).

How do you improve the performance of your beastie?
Matt_2000
Groupie
Groupie
MK2 clear front lens modification guide (picture heavy).

#1 Post by Matt_2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Hello, I know this mod has been done before, but I thought I would post a guide on how I did mine.

You will need 2 sets of front indicator lenses, I got a spare pair yesterday, and risked damaging the set on my car ;)

1: Remove the stainless steel centre cover strip, you only need to bend up the end tabs, and carefully remove the strip, put them to one side.

2: Take a deep breath, and use a band-saw to cut the lenses in half, cut down the centre of each lens as show below....

3: You will probably be left with some plastic "flash" left were it has melted on during the cut, remove this with a knife and/or file.

4: I then roughed the rear side of the lens halves with a diamond tip dremmel, this will be needed later. Don't go past where the finishing strip will later cover.

5: Trial fit the lens halves, file if needed to get a reasonable fit, I tweaked mine with a belt sander, apply a thin film of superglue to hold the 2 halves together. This may take a while to get right, it does not matter if there are a few gaps, we will cover this later :) wait for the superglue to set so you can handle the (now complete) lens.

6: Mix up some epoxy resin, I used £shop stuff, but I guess better quality (more expensive) stuff wont hurt!

Put approximately the same amount of hardener and epoxy on a piece of paper......

Mix it up.....

7: Apply the epoxy to the rear of the lens, this is why I roughed up the rear of the lens, it will help the epoxy stick.

.... and up the rear edge of the lens....

8: Wait for the epoxy to cure enough to handle, and re-fit the finishing strips, simply bend over the tabs.

9: Job done, don't forget the orange, or "Silvatech" (Thanks mach1rob !) indicator bulbs ;)

Hopefully this will be of use to someone, it's not as scary to do if you know it can be done. Good luck!

I will post some pictures of them on my car, when I get her back on the road, hopefully within the next month.
Last edited by Matt_2000 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards

Matthew :)

mach1rob
Groupie
Groupie

Re: MK2 clear front lens modification guide (picture heavy).

#2 Post by mach1rob » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 pm

I fitted some silvatec bulbs so they don't show orange when not in use, stops the 'fried egg' look that orange bulbs tend to give. :D

Matt_2000
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by Matt_2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:20 pm

mach1rob wrote:I fitted some silvatec bulbs so they don't show orange when not in use, stops the 'fried egg' look that orange bulbs tend to give. :D
Thanks for the tip ;) I have ordered some from ebay :)

Also I just wondered if I am posting in the right area, most forums have a "Guide" section, I cant seem to see one here :( I dont want to get it wrong ;)
Regards

Matthew :)

owen1183

#4 Post by owen1183 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 am

How does the shape compare with the original shape? all the lens symetrical?

I'd be interested in seeing how they look on the car
76' P 2500S in Honeysuckle with Manual O/D

mach1rob
Groupie
Groupie

#5 Post by mach1rob » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:21 pm

They're spot on fit wise, here's mine, just bear in mind, my sidelights and indicators may be considered to be fitted the wrong way round, sides at top indicators at the bottom.
Attachments
lightssmall.jpg
triumph31small.jpg