Phantom Overheating!

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
Gowerowl
Re: Phantom Overheating!

#11 Post by Gowerowl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Now I understand Alec's comments about the single voltage stabiliser.....this has been a classic case of RTFM properly and don't just rely on 40 years of owning Triumphs!! Having removed the cluster containing the temperature gauge etc. from the dashboard with some difficulty, I found that my belief that the voltage stabiliser was on the back of / integral to the cluster was completely wrong!!! I don't know which of my cars I was mixing it up with but it is not in a difficult place up behind the dashboard only accessible by removing the seat, lying on your back in the footwell, and forcing your hands / fingers into places where they really don't fit; it is fixed to the bulkhead in the engine bay beside the clutch reservoir!! And can be changed in less than 5 minutes.

The new stabiliser purchased via the ebay link seems to have fixed the problem as the car has been running on the drive for 15 minutes and the temperature gauge is sitting nicely in the middle. Nick who supplied the unit developed it for use on his own Vitesse and supplied contact details should I have run into any problems.

tony.rayns
Groupie
Groupie

#12 Post by tony.rayns » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:19 pm

RTFM :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only slightly related to your subject here's on for you, I went for a spin in my MK1 PI (only a few miles) and on the way back it started missing, sometimes really badly and was convinced it was ignition. Got back home and gave the usual suspects a quick check with engine off. Tried to start her up and it just wouldn't fire only cranked with no sign of life. After a lot of head scratching, plugs out and cleaned, points checked, rotor arm swapped for one I knew was good I was just about to change the coil when I noticed that the voltage stabaliser on the bulkhead was loose and askew. A quick tighten up of the fixing screw and she fired straight up. Now wtf has this stabaliser got to do with the ignition system? I think it's just a coincidence and my missfire will return with a vengeance someday?
Tony

Member No 4250
Current moneypit is Mk1 PI Valencia Blue AMX 10H

Phil T

#13 Post by Phil T » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:47 pm

Wonder if this is the reason my fuel gauge underreads when my lights* are turned on......

Am rather worried it is my alternator.

* Other electrical loads are available

Gowerowl

#14 Post by Gowerowl » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:44 pm

To avoid purchasing via Ebay, the voltage stabiliser I fitted is available direct from Nick Fane email address: shop@fanes.uk.