child seats

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
overtontriumph
Groupie
Groupie
child seats

#1 Post by overtontriumph » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Hello everyone.
Has anyone gone through the rigmarole of finding the right children's seat to fit into a mk2 preface lift 2000? I don't have high backed front seats and at the moment only have seat belts in the front of the car although this will change after xmas when i fit rear seat belts. Seat belt type are the rimmers recoil belts with the shorter length click buckle.
My wife is on my case to make my hobby more family accessible so any help is greatly appreciated.

Phil

red2000chris

Re: child seats

#2 Post by red2000chris » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:50 pm

both my kids seats fit the front seats no problem. one is the "standard" looking cumbersome bucket seat for 6months to 4 years, the other is a standard booster seat with removable back. ive fitted reel type 3 point belts in the back as the mountings are already there.
"life is great.....but no longer with a 2000

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Agreed. All our 3 boys travelled in the Triumphs from day one (they are now 17, 23 and 27!). Personally, I think rear static belts are better for getting a securely fitted child seat, but you will need inertia ones later when they get onto booster seats.

All 3 body fittings should be there ready for you to bolt to. You might have to clean out the threads a bit first though!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

overtontriumph
Groupie
Groupie

#4 Post by overtontriumph » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Many thanks.
What is the brand of seat you are using? We had a devil of a time to find the correct fitting seat for my wife's Renault.
I don't think i could stomach the thought of losing another half day trial fitting every brand of seat that mothercare stocks again.

Phil

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi Phil,

The problem is that ours were in a child seat so long ago, that they have all changed now. Ours had a substantial steel tube frame that made for easy strapping down in the car. Our eldest is going to be a father in the new year (that means I'll be a grandfather in the new year - gulp!), so I can ask him when I next see them.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

red2000chris

#6 Post by red2000chris » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:15 pm

the bucket type seat for 12 months to 5 years is ASIS, the booster one is .......cant remember!!! they are all about the same.
"life is great.....but no longer with a 2000

yandy

#7 Post by yandy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:26 am

I fitted the same Rimmer rear set recently - the first thing I did when i got the car. Took about an hour and was a bit fiddly - a socket with a UJ helps get between the retracting unit and the rear window. All the child seats I've seen will fit these (ignore that iso-fix thing - that's for modern cars).
Similarly, they should all fit in the front fine too, but there are age restrictions to watch out for. Don't forget to disable your airbag ;-)
'73 2000 - big, bad and very brown

Alan Chatterton

#8 Post by Alan Chatterton » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 am

I've fitted seat belts in the back of the estate and I will use the existing child seats I have. They are the modern isofix ones but you just retract the arms and the seat belt just goes round them as normal.
I've got monza recarro juniors and they fit just fine.
Hoping to move to booster cushions soon as my girls are 5 & 6.
Alan Chatterton

Location; Redditch

DEL 33 1972 Lines Stag Estate Tartan Red

Blog http://vml3m.blogspot.com/