Light switch mk 1

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Light switch mk 1

#21 Post by Mike Stevens » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:38 am

James wrote:It's not overly expensive (to my mind) but once you add the VAT and delivery on top things get a bit out of hand
Luckily I have an account so don't pay delivery. Sadly not so for VAT though.

When I cleaned the window and light switches for the Stag, I used a little bit of vaseline I think. Either than or silicon grease, but the latter comes in lots of different types. I wouldn't think you'd want one that was too stiff, or one that ran out when the switch got warm! The Stag switches were all intermittant before I dismantled, cleaned and lubricated them. They do seem OK now.

I couldn't recommend anything more than has come from Colin. Likewise, I prefer the RS paper catalogue to the website as the search engine isn't very good, mainly I think due to the key strings they've put in for their products! I notice the new catalogue has gone back to just one this year. One very big one mind you!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

James

#22 Post by James » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm

CRAJ wrote:
James wrote:
Alec wrote:Hello David,

this particular product, if you open the specification's pdf file mentions automotive use.http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/contact-t ... t/3375925/ It is not cheap and for one off use will last several lifetimes!

I regularly use the RS website and it has many deficiencies, their paper catalogues are far more useful except that they are very large and date quite quickly.

Alec
It's not overly expensive (to my mind) but once you add the VAT and delivery on top things get a bit out of hand.
No doubt cleaning the indicator switch and lubricating it will still be a fraction of the cost of a new item if you could source one.

Colin
Totally! I think I will buy some.

Added to that the pain of having to take it out again and repair it a second time, and even more so safeguarding against your lights playing up when you need them the most.
1969 2000 MkI EFI
1969 Spitfire MkIII
blog: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/wordpress
twitter: http://twitter.com/jamescarruthers

David Withers

#23 Post by David Withers » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 pm

I placed an order this morning, before seeing Alec's recommendation. It is for: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/contact-t ... t/0566730/ (£4.42 incl VAT)

I'm fairly sure that my earlier search was for "electrical contact lubricant" and the answer was "none found". I doubt if I thought to search for "... grease". As has been inferred, sometimes you can't beat turning the pages of a paper catalogue.

I've bought only one thing from RS before and that was 5 or 6 years ago, but I have an account as a result. I was quite surprised today not to be charged for "next day delivery", but now I know why that was!

Thanks to all for your help. :D

Alec

#24 Post by Alec » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Hello David,

although their website could be better their delivery service is first class.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

David Withers

#25 Post by David Withers » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:41 am

In case it helps anyone....

The tube/syringe of contact grease arrived this morning (yes, excellent delivery service!) but it is RS's own brand and the very brief description that came with it said only that it is "Ideal for vertical surfaces, for example battery terminals and rheostats". There is nothing about using it on automotive switchgear, and there is a warning that it may not be suitable for some plastics.

The syringe of grease will be useful for other purposes but I've now ordered a 200ml aerosol of Electrolube 2X (£7.87 incl) which promises to be better suited to automotive switchgear. This is a white grease whereas the syringe contains a clear grease, so it is obviously different, and it should be easier to apply.

englishbull

#26 Post by englishbull » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Get all electric switch gear RS free from work........... :D
     Lee Godfrey     Club Member 7075      

1960 948 Herald Coupe in Alpine Mauve
1962 1600 Vitesse Convertible in White
1961 Standard Vanguard estate