I think the technical term is "broken"..

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
tony
Re: I think the technical term is "broken"..

#11 Post by tony » Sun May 02, 2010 2:54 am

Many years ago I had a Humber 90. Not relative to a Troumph except they're both English.
I had no end of problems with a leaking screen and had many attempts in fixing it.
In the end I had a new rubber fitted and no problems ever again.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Mike Stevens » Mon May 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi Tony,

I think you may be right. I washed the Pi this morning, (it was its Birthday) and some water even came in then! Most frustrating as I've put some extra mastic around the bottom part of the seal, but of course I'm guessing really as to where it's actually coming in.

I think, as you suggest, that a new seal is the next stage. That's the easy bit. Then there's the trim! Maybe I'll make the special tool they suggest.

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Rob B

#13 Post by Rob B » Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Touch-wood i think the leak has been sealed now. Some water has still appeared but i think its just little pockets of it under the dash from before. No sign of fresh leaks as the paper under the screen is still dry.

Car now seems to be running fine again too. When putting the battery back on I discovered the negative strap was only earth on the engine, not on the body so i've put that right, also Vicki found that the positive strap had a spilt in the plastic sheath which was rubbing on the metal of the battery tray. I have bound it up with gaffer tape as a stop gap but i shall fit a new one asap. Whether it was that causing the poor running or the water leak or just the bad weather or a combination of all of them i dont know but if anything its running smoother and quieter than it was before.............

tony

#14 Post by tony » Mon May 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Mike, don't know if they're available in your part of the world, but a 2500 wreck that I recently dismantled had a screen rubber similar to a Claytonrite rubber-with a rubber filler strip ( similar to the back window) instead of the stainless moulding.Would be much easier to fit!
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue May 04, 2010 12:03 pm

tony wrote:similar to a Claytonrite rubber-with a rubber filler strip
That sounds interesting. I'm not too worried about fitting the rubber itself, (I did manage a rear screen over the weekend!), but that trim worries me.

I'll look into that Tony - Thanks.

Rob, glad to hear the screen seems sorted. Your poor running could have been caused by the lack of earth strap. If it was the positive, you'd have seen and heard some might zaps if it had shorted to ground!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1973 Stag French blue

Rob B

#16 Post by Rob B » Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Mike Stevens wrote:Rob, glad to hear the screen seems sorted. Your poor running could have been caused by the lack of earth strap. If it was the positive, you'd have seen and heard some might zaps if it had shorted to ground!

Indeed it would have been a bit scary. It was actually Vicki who spotted it. I dont know if its standard on all mk2's or if its a mod the previous owner has made to mine but there is a small hook jutting out of the battery tray which is being used to hold the positive cable and stop it touching on the engine/fan belt. Great idea except the hook itself has worn through the plastic coating over the cable, it has then had a make-do repair by sliding a piece of rubber tube over the damage and gaffer taping it up. But over time the gaffer tape has worn thru and the cable was once again touching on the hook. Difficult to spot without a very close inspection and my eyes are crap anyway so im very lucky that Vicki doesnt mind helping out!

I think it was probably a combination of the cable problems, a slightly low battery, the screen leak and the truly abysmal weather on that day as it all seems happy now. Just as well as we are off to the Bristol Group Camp at Bucklegrove on the 14th.

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by Mike Stevens » Tue May 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Huff wrote:small hook jutting out of the battery tray
Hi Rob,

There are a lot of those 'hooks' all over the car, (if they are what I think they are). They would originally have had some black sleeving on them - to stop the fretting that Vicki found!

Have a good trip in a couple of weeks!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1973 Stag French blue