Whroom Whroom

Other technical Issues with the Triumph 2000 range
Peter Douglas W
Whroom Whroom

#1 Post by Peter Douglas W » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:53 am

Driving to my wife's hospital and back I have noticed some drumming. It can't be my car is perfect. :D :D :D Hum.
OK her we go. New diff cone. New bushes at the rear. Prop proffesionally balanced. New tyres balanced.
When driving under load at 2000 rpm e.g. 4th with O/D I get a drumming. it is like whrooom whrooom whrooom with a 1/2 second frequency. If I drive faster the noise gets less and the frequency goes up. Foot on the clutch and the sound vanishes. Mirror is stable all the time. Put the G/B in neutral sound vanishes. Steering wheel has no unbalance feeling. Gearbox lever has no unbalanced feeling. Hand on the floor nothing unusual. Has anybody got a gut feeling what it could be. I know it is like looking for a needle in a Haystack. It is not that bad but it means at some time or other, something will happen.
Peter Douglas Winn
A happy Triumph owner.

valencia

Re: Whroom Whroom

#2 Post by valencia » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:35 pm

Hi Peter,
Am I correct in saying that the noise and vibration were not present before the repairs you mention ? Of course the repairs and the problem may be entirely unconnected.
Anyway, it sounds like it happens when under load with torque being transmitted through the driveline, I assume all the parts fitted were identical replacements to the originals ? Differences in the dimensions of the bushes can cause mis-alignment of the driveline with subsequent problems. At least it does sound like driveline rather than steering as your steering wheel is steady. Not always easy to put a finger on these issues but if it wasn't there before it should be traceable.
I hope you find a solution,
Michael.

Peter Douglas W

#3 Post by Peter Douglas W » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:09 am

It has been driving OK for a long time.
I don't want to put it up on a ramp because I have the underneath full of boiler plates (Triumph option by the previous owner) It takes a lot of energy (weight) and time to remove them. Only so, can I inspect anything. My thinking is along the lines it is something to do with the drivetrain. Which cuts out 500 posibilities and only leaves 350.
Peter Douglas Winn
A happy Triumph owner.

johnnydog

#4 Post by johnnydog » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:27 am

With you saying the noise etc goes when you depress the clutch and occurs only under load, that eliminates a lot of the potential culprits. Relative to the work that has been done, I would start with the simplest jobs first, but they need to be checked one at a time or you will never determine which component, if any, is the cause.
The bushes fitted (diff mountings or rear suspension - were they assembled in the correct order / washers in the correct position? Were they rubber or poly? Different grades of poly bushes give various levels of noise, vibration and of harshness which are totally different to the original rubber bushes.
Although the propshaft has been balanced, I would consider unbolting the front flange and turning the propshaft 180 degress (half a turn), to see if the sympton is eliminated, and then examine the condition of the gearbox mounting. You can usually see if it has partially collapsed, or gone a bit soft or 'jelly like' through oil contamination. Front engine mounts are also worthy of checking at this point.
Then you may have to move onto components that need more disassembling.
Last edited by johnnydog on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Peter Douglas W

#5 Post by Peter Douglas W » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:50 am

I am hoping it is rubber that has gone soft. i.e. Engine or G/B. Propshaft means a lot of work stripping down all the boiler plates.
Peter Douglas Winn
A happy Triumph owner.

tony

#6 Post by tony » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:36 am

Boiler Plates??? please explain. Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Peter Douglas W

#7 Post by Peter Douglas W » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:19 am

Have a look at the parts catalogue Number RTC 912 (1975)Pages 23-33 and 23-44 Triumph call them skid plates I call them boiler plates because of the thickness and the weight. The first owner work on building sites repairing huge Bulldozers hydraulics and he wanted to protect the underneath of the car. You will also see that Automatics were different. I just left them on when I brought the car from him. Sometimes I am thankful but they increase consumption and lower the power.
Peter Douglas Winn
A happy Triumph owner.