Fuel guage reading not compliant!

Engine Oily Bits, Ignition, Fuelling, Cooling, Exhaust, etc.
Forkie
Re: Fuel guage reading not compliant!

#11 Post by Forkie » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:25 pm

Hi Alec
Yes I agree, as they are all 40+ now, although mine is fairly original with only 1 P.O. who purchased it from the dealer who used it as a demonstrator for it's first 18 months, so it's not one that has had several owners. The only thing he had fitted was a tow bar, with electrics. The tank wiring ,as all the other wiring looks original, apart from where the tow bar electrics have been added. I have done nothing to the electricals, and the fuel gauge used to work fine before hand, so I can only assume the wiring is/was correct, and the seized float arm I discovered earlier i am hoping is the culprit!!! But again, we are talking B.L. here, and I think I am right in saying mine was a very early S Estate (general build dates start from May '75 , mine was built in the April) - so maybe the wiring codes were not properly standardized until May ??? But, I could be completely wrong on all that :lol:

Hi Bill - well I went straight to C.W. site of course - he lists 'out of stock' :| ... but managed to find one at Robsport, £40 delivered.... he does list it as 'Stag', but also fits our Estates.....he was the only one though. Should be here on Tuesday,will let you know if all is well when I fit it. I will try to 'free mine up' after I get the new one, then i may have a spare ! Wanted to make sure I could replace it first....

Regards,Nige
Member Number 7392 04/07

1975 TRIUMPH 2500S AUTO ESTATE IN BRG!

DON'T TIDY UP - LEAVE IT WHERE IT FELL!!

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:45 am

Stag and Estate fuel tanks are the same as are the senders, so that should be OK. The wire colours are in the relevant manual. Mine are not to hand but I will go and find one to look. The black one is definitely GND.

Questions are always fine, and I'm really pleased to hear of your great progress. My PI is undergoing major surgery - there should be an updated report in the next SIX Appeal complete with pictures, if Andrew had enough space to fit it in. I ought to be out in the garage today, but it's a wee bit cool in the just at the moment!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Forkie

#13 Post by Forkie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:47 pm

Mike - I 'm glad it's just not me thats finding things cold . B.T.W . what on earth is GND? Is that Earth?
Member Number 7392 04/07

Dave B

#14 Post by Dave B » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:29 pm

Forkie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:47 pm
Mike - I 'm glad it's just not me thats finding things cold . B.T.W . what on earth is GND? Is that Earth?
Pretty sure that GND is earth, especially as the cable is black.
Some wiring diagrams say earth, others say ground, or GND.
Out of interest, what are the driveshafts on your car from?
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Charles H

#15 Post by Charles H » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:51 am

GND = Ground
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Forkie

#16 Post by Forkie » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:54 pm

Ok so the driveshafts - they were an (expensive option many years ago :cry: ) - to have the originals sent off, get rebuilt, and sent back. The bits I can remember at the minute off the top of my head are - Timken bearings fitted, and the ' Bell' shaped hooded boot no longer required , as additional grease points are added. I am pretty sure this was discussed at the time - I would have to have a trawal through the messages from the past.

Regards, Nige
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#17 Post by Forkie » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:43 pm

Grey matter now awakened - I do remember now that I had timed it just right ,in that I had purchased the last pair.....
Member Number 7392 04/07

Forkie

#18 Post by Forkie » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:04 pm

So, back to the initial post - received the new sender unit on Tuesday , and as I had the day off due to the rarity down here of snow , I took the opportunity of fitting it. Which I did. Connect battery, switch on ignition....Yawn....in due course it MAY make a reading.... Slow as you like!! ! And hey presto - just over a quarter of a tank !!!

So with the exact same reading achieved after fitting a brand new sender unit, I have come to this conclusion - a) the level of fuel in the tank NOW is pretty much where it was when I laid it up. b) i am properly jinxed :lol:
Member Number 7392 04/07

Charles H

#19 Post by Charles H » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 am

Did you run the arm up and down before fitting it as per previous post to check it first?
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Forkie

#20 Post by Forkie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:51 pm

Hi Charles
Well i had no need to check, as when i opened the package the float arm was flinging around all over the place - so all good for free movement with the new unit :) - unlike my original, which is still stuck solid. I have, since removal, tried carb cleaner as was suggested here, for two days.....nothing..... have since moved on to one of our favorite 'free-er upper' - best not mention the name but i am sure we all have a can :lol: - still nothing.....
I am amazed at just how seized this float arm is - considering there is no visible corrosion, the unit is sat in a sealed environment i.e. not exposed to the elements, yet is completely stuck solid. At worst i would expect stiff movement, not total lock up.
P.S. does anyone know what the tiny screw is for, completely opposite side of the ( in my case non ) moving arm ?
As an aside, whilst the sender was removed, i thought i would dip the tank with a clean section of bamboo cane. From the bottom of the tank ( inside) to the lip of where the sender sits is 200mm. The bamboo indicated 100 mm of fuel depth - so initially i thought 1/2 a tank - until i thought about the recess for the sender unit. So point 1 ) i assume a FULL TANK is a full tank ,as in the tank is brim to the underside of the tank itself, ABOVE the recess for the sender unit. Point 2 ) Would anyone know if 100mm of fuel from base of tank would read just over a quarter full :lol:
I guess i will just go and fill the Jerry can with another 3 gallon and pop that in - at least then if the sender is reading correct i should then read at least way over half !!!!
Regards, Nige.
Member Number 7392 04/07