Non starter.

Batteries, Alternator, Wiring, Lighting, etc. (Please discuss ignition problems in the Engine category)
badger
Non starter.

#1 Post by badger » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi. I have a MK2 2000 1972. Over the last month or two, my car has failed to start on two occasions, but after turning the key again it started and ran fine. I went out this morning for a short drive with no problems, then this afternoon it didn’t want to start at all. As I turned the ignition key there was a click, and then nothing. Tried it 3 more times and nothing, no click etc. Also none of the lights came on the dash. I’m guessing it’s the starter motor, but the lack of dash lights has puzzled me. Any ideas chaps?

badger

Re: Non starter.

#2 Post by badger » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Update. Just had a little play. I noticed the fuse to the dis car nect had blown, so bypassed this. Hey presto, the dash lights come on. Turned the key, nothing, and the lights went out again. Had a fiddle, lights come on, turn key, nothing, dash lights go out. Had another fiddle, no dash lights, in fact no power to anywhere. Earth problem? Help!

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:53 pm

As you say, possible earth (or +ve supply) fault.
Try putting a jump lead between the battery -ve terminal and a good clean earthing point on the engine block.
If no luck there, try a jump lead from the battery +ve to the starter motor terminal where the thick cable is connected.
You also mentioned a dis-car-nect switch, try removing that and put the +ve lead directly back on the battery. The contacts in the switch could be manky, causing the fuse to blow when you put some serious current through it!
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Charles H

#4 Post by Charles H » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 am

Try removing the dis car nect and making a decenent connection on to the battery with cleaned battery posts.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE