Wheel bearing spinning on stub axle

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
Llessur
Wheel bearing spinning on stub axle

#1 Post by Llessur » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Am swapping out my old and gunked up front wheel bearings - the car's not seen the road in 10 years or so, so it seems like a good precaution.

The stub axles seem ok, with minor wear marks where the bearings sit but nothing too significant - however, the inner bearing spins slightly on the stub axle.

The bearings are the correct Timken ones supplied by Chris Witor. There is definitely no movement between the innermost bearing cones and the hub.

Is any movement between the bearing and the stub axle acceptable, or should this essentially be an interference fit? I have read contrasting things on various forums ranging from no, to some slight movement is fine, to yes it's necessary.

Just want to find out what people think before I shell out £££ on new stub axles and possibly vertical links.
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/

tony

Re: Wheel bearing spinning on stub axle

#2 Post by tony » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Locktite is your friend. :shock:
Tony.
1976 2500 TC. converted to S specs.

Lots of bits

1999 BMW Z3.
2006 BMW 325ti.
Hopefully not needing too many bits.

Alec

Re: Wheel bearing spinning on stub axle

#3 Post by Alec » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello Llessur,

Yes, Loctite would probably do the job, but there si another alternative which is to make or haver made a spacer that goes between the two races and the spindle nut being done up tightly. This clamps the two inner races together. Shims will be needed to make the end float adjustment easier.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.