Rear screen seal replacement

Bodywork, interior and exterior trim and glass, bumpers, etc.
sahtuning2000
Rear screen seal replacement

#1 Post by sahtuning2000 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Any tips to the best way to remove the rear screen and replace with a new seal,do I cut the old seal to get the screen out or just push from inside,do I just replace the seal and refit what mastic if any etc and is it a case of refitting using the old string/2 man jobbie.

Alec

Re: Rear screen seal replacement

#2 Post by Alec » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 am

Hello SAHTuning,

just push the screen gently from one corner. I don't use any mastic when replacing it and also find it quite easy to replace it without any assistance, being fairly flat it is not difficult to fit.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

sahtuning2000

#3 Post by sahtuning2000 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 am

Hello Alec
I did think you don,t use mastic etc as I fitted one years ago and don,t remember making a mess...
How do you push from the outside whilst pulling the string on the inside,that sound abit tricky?
Is it just a case of pushing it out from inside with my feet,carefully.

Alec

#4 Post by Alec » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Hello SAHTuning,

I used my hand, it doesn't take a lot to pop it out unless the rubber has gone very hard? Cutting is another option if it's difficult to move. You can reach round to keep pressure on teh screen while pulling teh cord. Incidenatally I use single flexible electrical cable rather than string as it's strong and smooth, but I always have a reel in my workshop.

Alec

MK1.5 2.5 P.I.
Jaguar MK 2 (Long term restoration.)
Hymer 564 Motorhome.

johnnydog

#5 Post by johnnydog » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 pm

I find its easier using your feet, as you have more control than using your hand, believe it or not (!), and pushing it gently in a top corner so that the seal releases. It can help to get it moving by pushing one part of the seal at the corner with a tyre lever or large flat screw driver.
The new aftermarket seals now available are made of a lot softer rubber compound than the originals, and whilst I don't think they are as good, being more pliable, they are easier to install with the draw string method. It helps having another person to push the screen down on the outside following the draw string around the aperture.
Proper windcreen sealant should only be applied after installation, between the seal and the glass, not between the seal and body.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by Jake » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:30 am

For what it's worth I just pushed the rear screen out on mine with my hand starting in the O/S top corner. The seal was relatively new and the screen came out easy :D
I also refitted it on my own, don't forget you need to "hook" to the top edge under the roof overhang before placing the complete screen and seal assembly on the bottom flange. Then simply put the cord out while pressing the screen from the outside.
On the mastic front i'm guessing you'll need to use some, if you're not sure drive the car in the rain you'll soon know. From previous experience when I changed a front screen seal I ended up needing to mastic it glass to seal and seal to frame :(
The rear shouldn't be so bad, but time will tell.