Wheels & tyres

Everything that keeps your car in contact with the road, and from contacting other road users.
johnnydog
Re: Wheels & tyres

#11 Post by johnnydog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:32 am

Mike Stevens wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:59 am

I have to admit to having the alloys (Stag/'S') on the PI and as johnndog says, they don't look right. I want to keep to 14" rims as I think there is a better tyre choice in that size, so the solution may well be a set of 14" steels from the Stag. PI wheel trims will still fit (I think), but if not the Stag ones will which could be painted black like the PI!

Cheers,
Mike.
If 14"steels from a Stag are used on a PI, then the wheel trim has to be for the Stag. They are visibly almost the same but the Stag trim has an oval valve hole rather than a round hole as on the PI trim. This is to accommodate the position of the valve on the 14" rim. If you use a PI trim on a Stag rim the valve will be bent over which due to abrasion may cause the valve to ultimately fail.
As to the correct 'rostyle' trim, both the PI and Stag had black paint around the dummy wheel nuts until approx 1974 (when the facelift PI was introduced), and then both models went to the aluminium look finish until the alloys were introduced. The centre can be painted black on the later type, but hand painted trims look a bit naff and trying to mask them to spray paint them is difficult, so a correct set for the period of the car is, in my opinion, the simplest option.
But finding a good set of early Stag (or PI for that matter!) trims that haven't corroded on the back, or the rivits retaining the two halves together that havent disintegrated causing them to rattle, never mind having the black paint in an acceptable condition, is getting more and more difficult.......
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

johnnydog

#12 Post by johnnydog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:48 am

Higgies2K wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 am
Try posting new link

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/uniroyal-rallye-380

tyres.JPG
Just had a look at the link - if I was going for 175 80R13, then I would definitely go with the Uniroyal 380. Having had experience of them, and I agree with Charles - they are an excellent tyre.
If I was going for the 185 80 R13, then my choice would definitely be the Maxxis (but the choice is even more limited in this size). I got mine through MyTyres, a company I have used previously for my 'daily driver' tyres, and their service and delivery has been good. There are also the options of remanufactured Michelins in the original tread pattern from Vintage Tyres, but be sitting down when you look at the prices.... :shock: :shock:
All the the above is just my opinion of course, and others may have different thoughts!!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#13 Post by Jake » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi thanks for your input everyone 👍
To explain the position for my green Pi I rather think the originality boat has already sailed for this particular car. Though it is still the original colour, it's been resprayed inside and out. It's still a Pi engine but a factory spare, on SU's, now black nylon rather than beige vinyl etc etc.
Anyway it's keeping the alloys and the carbs for now, I've ordered 185/70's so I'll see how they are for now.
For this car it's about getting it back on the road after at least 20 years rest (I've got another Pi that's original right down to the keys and original supplying dealer fob so I think I've got that particular itch scratched 😀)
I'll post on tyres once fitted and again when I've managed a few miles of Tarmac 😳

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 pm

johnnydog wrote: But finding a good set of early Stag (or PI for that matter!) trims that haven't corroded on the back, or the rivits retaining the two halves together that havent disintegrated causing them to rattle, never mind having the black paint in an acceptable condition, is getting more and more difficult.......
Well, luckily, I have at least 2 sets of PI trims (black) and 1 set of Stag trims (not black!). Not sure about rivets/corrosion etc though. I suppose one could always enlarge the valve hole in the PI trim to match the hole in the Stag ones... :wink:

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

Jake
Groupie
Groupie

#15 Post by Jake » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 am

Hi All, tyres all bought and fitted! 185/70/14 Goodyears.
Looks ok in my opinion.
OSR Corner on drive.JPG
Been up the road over the weekend, first time its turned a wheel under its own power for at least 20 years :D