Clutch lever arm - which hole

Clutch, Gearbox, Overdrive, Propshaft, Differential, Drive Shafts, Hubs.
Phil T
Clutch lever arm - which hole

#1 Post by Phil T » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:15 pm

I have just had to replace the clutch hydraulics, but on reassembly I had a dilemma over which hole in the lever arm to attach the slave pushrod.

Any advice?

(I used the one at the shortest distance from the pivot.)

johnnydog

Re: Clutch lever arm - which hole

#2 Post by johnnydog » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Irrespective of which model, I always have fitted the clevis pin to the middle hole. This gives a pedal with moderate pressure which I prefer - the front hole gives a heavier pedal, and some say gives more clutch cover clearance, whilst in the rearmost hole, there may not be sufficient clutch clearance and some have said you run more of a risk of the seals popping out of the cylinder.
If your clutch is in a good state of health, and the bite was correct for you I would leave it where it was originally.
There were two slave cylinder dimensions 7/8" and 1" bore - some fit a 7/8" slave cylinder to a 2.5 to give more clearance, or fit an adjustable operating rod, but in my opinion, this is only masking a another problem.
I have always fitted the correct slave cylinder for the model, and fitted the clevis pin to the centre hole with no problems. But then again, I always use a Laycock cover with a B&B plate which is supposedly the best combination of bite, disengagement and lightness of pedal, compared with using a B&B or aftermarket cover.
It's also worth checking for any wear on the clevis pin or the fork ends which can affect the operation and disengagement issues.
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Phil T

Re: Clutch lever arm - which hole

#3 Post by Phil T » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have used the shorter hole to maximise the clearance (simple trigonometry!) as the longest hole was giving a slight lack of clearance for reverse.

(Used the correct 7/8 cylinder!)