2500 S Project

Show us the work you're doing on your Triumph 2000/2500/2.5.
Llessur
Re: 2500 S Project

#11 Post by Llessur » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:31 am

tony wrote:Over here, we have been ...um... known to sell Commission plates on from a still in the system wreck complete with number plates. This allows someone to register a..um.. unregistered similar car back into the system....Strictly naughty of course. :lol: :lol:
Tony.
Same thing happened quite a lot back in the UK (especially during the time when the road tax exempt status was based on a fixed cut-off date) but I hear they're clamping down on that sort of malarkey now. Someone who still lives there might be able to provide an update?

Not 100% sure whether that occurs over here - but the fact that the police deal with registering of previously unregistered cars might dissuade people from that course of action.
Adelaide, South Australia (ex-Brighton, UK)
1977 2500S - White

My 2500 blog: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:47 am

Llessur wrote:
tony wrote:Over here, we have been ...um... known to sell Commission plates on from a still in the system wreck complete with number plates. This allows someone to register a..um.. unregistered similar car back into the system....Strictly naughty of course. :lol: :lol:
Tony.
Same thing happened quite a lot back in the UK (especially during the time when the road tax exempt status was based on a fixed cut-off date) but I hear they're clamping down on that sort of malarkey now. Someone who still lives there might be able to provide an update?

Not 100% sure whether that occurs over here - but the fact that the police deal with registering of previously unregistered cars might dissuade people from that course of action.
Not too sure how the authorities could clamp down if you had a V5 in your name and the car was wearing a commission plate relevant to that document. Its not as though the car identity is anywhere else other than on the commission plate.
Club Member 2035
1970 2500 Mk2 in pimento red[/col
Toyota Avensis T4 Tourer

Llessur

#13 Post by Llessur » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm

A small, somewhat overdue, update: https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/
1977 2500S - White

Charles H

#14 Post by Charles H » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Good progress there. I do however question the fitting of the oil filter horizontally, the oil can still drain back at this angle. When fitted vertically the entire canister remains full, and in 30 years of using these, I have never had stone damage because it is behind the cross member!
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Llessur

#15 Post by Llessur » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Yeah, at the time it was due to necessity as the hydraulic hose leading from the back of the clutch slave cylinder is surprisingly rigid and and so I could not fit the filter vertically without kinking this hose. Given the time it's taken me to bleed the clutch properly I didn't want to disrupt this quite yet.

Next job on the list is the replacement of the gearbox so that'll give me the opportunity to take another look and see if I can work out an arrangement which allows the filter to sit in the optimal 6 o'clock position.

I know the prospect of anything hitting it is pretty low but I wonder if it would be worthwhile fitting a shorter filter just to mitigate against this completely. What are the benefits of the longer one?
1977 2500S - White

Charles H

#16 Post by Charles H » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 pm

The benefits of the longer one is literally better filtration. The clutch pipe union only needs a little slackening in order to aim the metal end of the pipe towards the sump. I have never ever had to re bleed the clutch after doing this because the flange is still pressing a little against the seat in the cylinder.
Charles Harrison
Register member 3095
Folkestone
Cherry Red Mk1 2000 Rally Car
Mallard Blue 2.5PI
Sapphire Blue GT6 Mk3
Vermillion Red Spitfire 1500
Pimento Red TR6
Inky Blue VW Passat B5.5
Arctic Blue Jaguar XJ40
Silver Range Rover Vogue SE

Llessur

#17 Post by Llessur » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:36 am

A small wheel-based update...

https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/
1977 2500S - White

Llessur

#18 Post by Llessur » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:03 am

Another update - gearbox related ones to follow:

https://triumph2500blog.wordpress.com/
1977 2500S - White

johnnydog

#19 Post by johnnydog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Having a bit of time on my hands (only because I'm on holiday!), I've read with interest your blog on the work you are doing to your Triumph. I am impressed with what you have detailed to date about the car, and the interesting way you have written it with the great photos. Very interesting read! How's it coming along now - I suppose it's the winter months in Australia, but if the winter weather deters you, then we have no chance here in the UK!!!
Register Member no. 1596

1967 Mk1 2000 in Gunmetal Grey
1969 Mk1 2000 in Royal Blue
1970 Mk2 2000 in Valencia Blue
1972 Mk2 2.5 PI in Triumph White
1973 Mk2 2.5 PI in Sienna Brown
1976 Mk2 2500S in Carmine Red

Llessur

#20 Post by Llessur » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:33 am

Ah, cheers for the compliment on the blog :) I enjoy writing about the work I've done, even if not many people read it. I think sometimes when you undertake a project gradually it's easy to loose sight of how far you've actually come - looking back over a blog or photos etc can really help put things in perspective and provide a bit of motivation to carry on towards getting it finished. Not that a Triumph will ever be finished of course - there'll always be something to do...

Having said that, the project's actually taken a slightly different turn since I last wrote - hence the lack of any recent posts. Completely by chance I stumbled upon a local breakers yard that had taken in a white 1977 2500S from an old fella who just wanted shot of it. It's in pretty good nick - a bit of rust at the front of the driver's side sill which will need attention and the interior isn't great (the carpet is brown yet the seats are red and ripped) but I decided it was actually a more viable project than my existing car due to its fairly presentable paintjob and the fact it won't need a full strip down for a colour change in the future. It's got factory AC and power steering fitted and the S is more desirable to me than the TC.

I wrote a bit about it here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6234

So it turns out that all of the work I have undertaken on the blue car has been a bit of a practice run. As the new car hasn't seen the road in at least a decade I plan to strip all of the new brake parts off of the blue car and put them onto the white car, likewise with the spin-on oil filter kit, the new tyres, the good interior etc. That'll leave the blue car as pretty much a stripped out shell which I'll have to make a call on once it gets to that stage. The wife is keen for me to reduce the fleet back down to one so it'll most likely have to go - hopefully someone will see it as a viable project and take it on.

I've just ordered some parts in from Chris Witor to rebuild the carbs on the new car - I'll reuse some of the new bits from the carbs on the blue car but the jets are different - so work should be re-starting soon. First job is to drain out the 10 year old fuel which is remaining in the tank, the carbies will be rebuilt and then I can sort out the brakes and interior. Watch this space...
1977 2500S - White