Mk2 Estate Hubs & Diff, panels- Wanted

Registered users may post ads for parts/spares here. No complete cars unless for breaking. See forum rules.
Forum rules
1. Strictly no trade advertisements - private ads only. 2. No complete cars (unless for breaking) must be advertised on here. Parts and spares only. Complete cars must be advertised via the main website only which is free for Members and £5 for non-members. 3. Maximum 4 pictures for any one ad. 4. Sensitive communication should be by Private Message - placing of personal information anywhere on this forum is done at the individuals risk.
brianthesnail96
Mk2 Estate Hubs & Diff, panels- Wanted

#1 Post by brianthesnail96 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:08 am

Hi folks,

Having got some miles under my belt on my newly purchased PI (now on carbs) manual estate, there's a few bits that we've established need doing sooner rather than later. The car is supposed to be on the RBRR in October...

The diff is extremely noisy when cruising, which from the amount of oil on it and not in it would be the usual blocked breather/ failed nose seal/ oil gone/ diff knackered malarkey. Now from having a looksee on here it looks like it should be a 3.7 and estates use the Mk1 set up, so I suppose what I'm after is a Mk1 or estate 3.7 diff in good order please!

I'd also like a pair of rear hubs, one of my bearings is dubious... the intention is to get recon exchanged ones but I'd rather buy a decent second hand pair and exchange those in case mine turn out to be toast. One of our team is a mechanic and we can use the lift at his garage on a Sunday, unfortunately he's 120 miles away from me so the plan is to do as much as we can as quickly as possible!

I'm going to replace all the brakes as a matter of course (and upgrade to Stag discs and calipers up front, mostly 'cos I happen to have a pair of calipers already). Having free'd off the rear adjusters last weekend we noticed one of the drums is cracked from the centre bore to a wheel stud bore- so could do with one of those too.

Had a good grub around underneath and it looks surprisingly solid- unfortunately outside is less so. It really needs the sills doing (has cover sills, boo) and the wheel arches are less than great. However the worst bits are the trailing edges of both front wings, particularly the N/S (which has had a half wing in the past, poorly prep'd) and the front arches. Longer term if I can justify it it'll get sills and new half wings both ends (I've already found Lloyd's website :) ) but if anyone has anything suitable (panel cuts from a breaker etc) that could be used to tidy it up for a few years that would be good for now- rear wings aren't as bad but do need arches as well so I guess the same goes for there.

I'm in sunny Gloucestershire by the way although I'm not averse to travelling, especially if someone has several bits and bobs :)

Oh, and if there's anyone experienced in patching up ropey old Triumphs who is really enthusiastic about fitting new sills and arches to a less than pristine PI estate at a fairly agreeable rate then please shout up... :lol: well, if you don't ask :mrgreen:

Cheers all,

Matt

(who will be joining the club now he's got his grubby mits on a car at long last)

Mike Stevens
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mk2 Estate Hubs & Diff, panels- Wanted

#2 Post by Mike Stevens » Wed May 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Brian,

If yours is still a 2.5, then the diff should be 3.45. All 2.5 cars had a 3.45 diff. You can use a saloon diff by just changing the diff rear cover for a estate version.

I can certainly find you a rear brake drum. Not sure about the state of all the rear hubs I have though.

Like you, my PI is in desperate need of major bodywork surgery. I'm getting the bits together but what I really need is space in the garage!

Cheers,
Mike.
(South Oxfordshire)
Register Member No 0355
1971 2.5PI Saloon Sapphire blue
1973 2.5PI Saloon rust some Honeysuckle
1973 Stag French blue
(1949 LandRover was blue should be light green!)

t2000
Groupie
Groupie

#3 Post by t2000 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:07 pm

i have a complete stag rear end for sale if you want to upgrade offers,

brianthesnail96

#4 Post by brianthesnail96 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 am

Cheers folks. Sorry Mike, looks like I'd scribbled down the wrong one when I was trying to work out what I needed! I assume it's still got the right diff, although having checked the serial numbers out it's the wrong engine (still a 2.5 but not a PI).

t2000- that would probably make life quite a bit easier (I assume the Stag set up is the same as a 2000 except for the bigger brakes then? As you can tell I'm new to these things...). I've absolutely no idea what it would be worth though.

johnconradlee

#5 Post by johnconradlee » Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm

The Stag diff mounts the same way as the Mk1 and estate (i.e with the steel bracket on the back) and the diff casing is a smidge larger to accommodate a slightly larger crown wheel and pinion (but this makes no difference in terms of fitting). All Stag diffs are 3.7:1. The Stag prop shaft input flange however is larger so you will need to swap it for the one off your old diff. Other than having an extra hole for the second exhaust pipe I think the Stag sub frame and trailing arms are basically the same as MK2 so you could theoretically (once you've swapped the input flange) be able to fit an entire stag sub frame/trailing arms/hubs/drive shafts/diff as a complete assembly to a 2000 or 2500 estate.
John Lee

1966 Triumph 2000 Mk1 "LuLU" (the Lee family Triumph) - various shades of Green and rust - The engine runs, she's alive!!!!

t2000
Groupie
Groupie

#6 Post by t2000 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm

also have complete rear end of 2.5pi if you wanted to keep original again offers,

brianthesnail96

#7 Post by brianthesnail96 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for the advice John. Sounds like the Stag rear end would almost be an ideal solution then. With the current diff and overdrive it's pretty long legged so I'm sure the slightly lower ratio wouldn't be a problem to me.

t2000, where in the world are you? And what condition are the bits in- are we talking reconditioning fodder only or a quick clean up and throw in?

t2000
Groupie
Groupie

#8 Post by t2000 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi again devon ( not far from where national is if you wanted a look then) the pi bits were bought years ago from a chap in cornwall who was breaking it so not sure the condition but the bits ive used off it were all fine the stag was laid up about 10 years ago for restoration that never happened so I bought it for parts for my own stag so basically you would be buying secondhand bits